Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help with strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help with strange noise

Recently I have begun to notice that when I am coasting I can hear a repeating noise that matches the speed of my truck (05 lariat 4x4 70k). As best I can tell it seems to be coming from the wheels on the driver's side and the noise continues even when I am applying the brakes. The noise itself is hard to describe, it's almost a brushing sound and it stops and starts rapidly along with the pace of the vehicles. It is very similar in pattern to a rock caught in the tire but the noise is entirely different. Any information of ideas would be great, thanks.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having similar issues. Being told its the chrome clad wheels. Chrome starting to separate from the wheel causing strange noises. One wheel makes the brushing noise and another sounds like a rock is in it, but no rock. Don't know what kind of wheels you have but that's my current problem. My front driver side made the brushing sound and back passenger side the rock sound. When tires were rotated the noises rotated as well. Only solution I know of (for me) is to either replace the wheels or pry the chrome off and paint the wheels. Mine are 17" wheels.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM

I have the 18" lariat wheels with the tan highlights so no chrome on mine. That is interesting though, what exactly cause that to happen though?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 AM

I can't be the only one this this problem. Anybody have any idea's I really don't want to go to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Need help with strange noise