Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help removing winshield cowl!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help removing winshield cowl!

I have an 05 XLT Crew. I need some help on how to remove the plastic windshield cowl pieces that sit between the hood and windshield. I would like to repaint them and also replace the clips because it is rattling. I don't want to break/crack these pieces so was wondering if someone could tell me how to remove these safely. I priced out new cowl pieces and Ford is getting $75.00 a piece! Thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by fowler12
I have an 05 XLT Crew. I need some help on how to remove the plastic windshield cowl pieces that sit between the hood and windshield. I would like to repaint them and also replace the clips because it is rattling. I don't want to break/crack these pieces so was wondering if someone could tell me how to remove these safely. I priced out new cowl pieces and Ford is getting $75.00 a piece! Thanks for all of your help, I appreciate it.
Yep, this has come up in the past....paint them with black Krylon plastic "fusion" paint. Will give you great results. You'll need to remove the wiper arms (pull arm away from windshield; you'll see a tab at the arm base, slide to left, them pull arm off of the shaft). These pieces are known to pop apart from each other where they meet in the center too.

Be carefull with the rubber end seals; they literally rot and fall apart after a couple of years, and they cannot be purchased seperately.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bucko, how are the cowl pieces held on though? When I remove the pieces, should I just pull them upward to remove? I don't want to break them so I need to know how to properly take them off. Thanks, I appreciate your help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help removing winshield cowl!