Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help with P0022, P0354, and P0355

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with P0022, P0354, and P0355

Good evening everyone and thank you in advance for taking time to read my post!

I own a 2004 Ford F150 5.4L I despise dearly. I've owned it for about 1.5 years and it's been nothing, but trouble. Just recently, I've been experiencing misfires off and on along with the infamous "tick" from the cam phasers. This past week I changed the spark plugs (6 of which broke). I used the Lisle tool and used a shop vac with smaller hose to suck out leftover debris. Fast forward, I put new Motorcraft SP515 plugs, replaced ignition coils with Accel (140033-8), VCT Solenoids ("Updated" Ford version), and cam position sensors. So after all that work, I'm having the following codes: p0022, p0354, and p0355. Right now, I'm more concerned with the last two since they pertain to a misfire. I researched for some advice and have ruled out the wires aren't being chafed, the ignition coil is fine since I switched them around and the code did NOT follow, and also tried a new plug to no avail. I understand it could be the fuel injector or the wiring harness.

Finally my question is, which one would be more likely and could there be anything else to left to check?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:01 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

When you replaced the COPS, did you replace the springs as well? If not, that could be the culprit, as they may not be making good contact from the coil to the spark plug cap.

Also, folks on this forum have posted that the Accel COPS are not all that great; no substitution for Motorcraft OEM COPS.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

My guess is that the plugs needed changed for quit sometime and have been causing a mis-fire condition ... this has allowed raw fuel to collect in the cats... now they may be clogged but, check out the fuel injectors too..
Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
My guess is that the plugs needed changed for quit sometime and have been causing a mis-fire condition ... this has allowed raw fuel to collect in the cats... now they may be clogged but, check out the fuel injectors too..
Cat seems okay, no visible problems. I'm now having the following codes: p0355, p0022, and p0175. I checked the fuel injectors for cylinders 1,2,5, and 6 and they all read at .12 (used multimeter set at "200" Ohms setting). Not sure what the proper specs are...ignition coils are fine and ruled out along with plugs. Bought a new plug and swapped cylinder 5...still misfiring. So I can rule out the ignition coil, plug and possibly the injector. I used the long screwdriver trick as well and can hear the pin moving at the same rate as the other injectors. I also tried to relearn the throttle body and still nothing...drove it for about 20 miles today. It's gotten slightly better, but definitely still misfiring.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chipadelphia
Cat seems okay, no visible problems. I'm now having the following codes: p0355, p0022, and p0175. I checked the fuel injectors for cylinders 1,2,5, and 6 and they all read at .12 (used multimeter set at "200" Ohms setting). Not sure what the proper specs are...ignition coils are fine and ruled out along with plugs. Bought a new plug and swapped cylinder 5...still misfiring. So I can rule out the ignition coil, plug and possibly the injector. I used the long screwdriver trick as well and can hear the pin moving at the same rate as the other injectors. I also tried to relearn the throttle body and still nothing...drove it for about 20 miles today. It's gotten slightly better, but definitely still misfiring.

CORRECTION: Fuel injectors clocked in at 14.3...I cleaned the MAF again and relearned the throttle body by disconnecting and draining capacitors, then by letting it idle for 15 minutes and driving it normally per YouTube user "Fordtechmakeuloco". Still rough idling...5 miles in and no codes have popped up yet though. Seems like it's the worse when first accelerating.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:00 PM

I also changed my fuel pump driver module located by the spare tire. The original was really corroded and I just did it as a preventive measure. So as of now my current codes are still p0355 and now p0171 and p0175. I will switch around fuel injectors to see if the code follows and will be getting a noid test kit tomorrow to see if it's the harness. As for the latter two codes, can anyone recommend how to determine if maybe the cat is clogged? I'm assuming that would be the issue due to these circumstances...
Old 09-23-2015, 06:35 PM

Default Can I PLEASE get some advice from someone? ANYONE?

So after doing everything listed above, I determined the fuel injector harness for cylinder 5 wasn't functioning after using noid test kit. I checked #6 and it was fine which tells me the problem is between the two. I cut into the wiring and inspect up to #6 splice and no problems, but since I already ordered the part I replaced the harness to #5 injector. I also replaced the hose from the EGR leading to the intake manifold since it was worn and I could hear a faint whistle. So the whistle is gone, the harnesses from #5 to #6 are functioning (both injector and ignition coil). I reconnect the battery and let it idle for 15-20 minutes so the PCM can relearn.

I take it for a 35 mile test drive, mostly driving on the highway. It's evident the misfire was there, but when I would drive at a steady pace (no sudden acceleration) it was fine for the most part. Even at a steady pace it would randomly misfire and stutter. So I get home, shut off the truck, and check to make sure all is well under the hood (hose connections, coils, etc.). When I restarted it this last time I have the following codes: p0022, p0355 (STILL!!!!), p0306, p0316, p0171.....I'm almost ready to throw in the towel on this POS truck...I've exhausted my resources and haven't learned much after scouring this forum and barely anyone is giving their input.

If anyone's even reading this, I appreciate it. For those willing to help, THANK YOU. I won't hold my breath, but will take a chance on this forum (again)...
Old 09-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Seems like you've covered all the basics for sure. Just by doing a little research on the P0022 and the P0171, it would suggest a cam shaft position sensor or a crank shaft position sensor could be at fault. I haven't researched if there's an electrical check you can do to test these sensors, but there might be one you can try before buying new ones.

Look at the bright side. If you stick with it, you will eventually get this resolved and then you will have a lot of new components that should keep you running good for a long time. Sucks though when you're trying to figure it out. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Need help with P0022, P0354, and P0355

I find it strange that you have both the P0171 and P0175 codes- too lean and too rich on the same bank? Do you have a scanner that can look at the O2 sensor output?

Every time I've seen a P0022 with either the P0175 or P0171, it has been a faulty VCT solenoid. Every time. I know you said you just replaced them with the latest Ford parts, and it costs ~$13 a seal X 2 every time you take them out, but that's where I would start. It's possible, though very rare, to get a bad part brand new.

Were the oil inlet screens on the old VCT solenoids intact or broken? Did you carefully inspect the bores to make sure no debris was in there before installing the new solenoids?

It's also possible that, with the diesel phaser noise, you could have phasers broken internally and the VCT solenoids simply cannot control them and thus cam position.

Also, I believe you meant EVAP, and not EGR. There is no EGR on this engine as that function is controlled through cam position. The EVAP hose from the purge solenoid on the driver side firewall high to the intake manifold passenger side near the throttle body is notorious for disintegrating and leaking.

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 09-26-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 PM

Default Current codes: p0022, p0171, p0175

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
I find it strange that you have both the P0171 and P0175 codes- too lean and too rich on the same bank? Do you have a scanner that can look at the O2 sensor output?

Every time I've seen a P0022 with either the P0175 or P0171, it has been a faulty VCT solenoid. Every time. I know you said you just replaced them with the latest Ford parts, and it costs ~$13 a seal X 2 every time you take them out, but that's where I would start. It's possible, though very rare, to get a bad part brand new.

Were the oil inlet screens on the old VCT solenoids intact or broken? Did you carefully inspect the bores to make sure no debris was in there before installing the new solenoids?

It's also possible that, with the diesel phaser noise, you could have phasers broken internally and the VCT solenoids simply cannot control them and thus cam position.

Also, I believe you meant EVAP, and not EGR. There is no EGR on this engine as that function is controlled through cam position. The EVAP hose from the purge solenoid on the driver side firewall high to the intake manifold passenger side near the throttle body is notorious for disintegrating and leaking.

UPDATE: So I changed my COPs to the original ones I had before and the misfire is gone, but technically it's still rough idling. After doing some research, I believe the cam phaser timing has jumped even more which is causing my problems. I currently have the p0022, p0171, and p0175 code. I'm thinking if I replace the cam phaser and chain tensioner on bank 2, we should be good to go. I'm actually considering replacing the cam phasers, chain tensioners, guides, chains, etc. on both sides with Ford OEM parts. I found a kit on Amazon for $845. If any experienced Ford mechanic is in northen VA or would be willing to travel to Manassas, VA let me know. I'm really considering hiring someone to handle this for me. Otherwise, I'll use the write up and do it myself little by little.

Quick Reply: Need help with P0022, P0354, and P0355