Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need help about duals.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help about duals.

I have been wanting dual exhaust forever, but some people tell me from their "experience" that if i put a performance muffler on my truck and have dual 3inch pipes coming out that it wont do anything for my truck because i will lose back pressure, and that when the truck comes from factory its already programmed and whatnot to get the best gas mileage and everything. So by me altering the exhaust i will hurt the performance and not gain anything? anyone have any answers for me? Or some facts?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

The only reason why you would lose backpressure would be b.c you want to run 3" tubing, thats way to big. You can run true dual 2.5" tubing and youll be set!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:36 AM

ok so i get 2.5" pipes , what exactly will the exhaust do for my truck, or does it really do anything? b/c i am being told its a waste of money?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sound and free flowing exhaust are you biggest gains.

true duals with the stock cats and mufflers wont be to loud. True duals with 2.5 inch pipe, high flow cats, a x-pipe, and some NICE free flowing mufflers will be just about all you could ever want.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:49 PM

ok, well i was asking all of the questions b/c i am new to truck mods. And i feel like ppl are speaking another language when i read other posts and such. So i dont know what the x pipe is other than it prob looks like an x and the exhaust that i was gonna get today is just a performance muffler with single in and dual out with 2.5" pipes and 3.5" tips. Should i do something else instead, b/c if so i need some detailed info so i can relay that to the guys at exhaust pro's.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Ty

It depends on the sound you want, if you want it to be rather loud, you are going to want to go with a high flow cat, and if you just want a deeper tone and a little rumble, then the system you described is perfect.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Loud and loss of low end tg.=Flowmaster
Mild, yet aggresive, and great performance=Magnaflow

It doesnt really matter if you go si/do (single in dual out) or with the true duals as for as performance.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Ty

you can have loud with pleanty of beckpreasure if it is set up right.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

High flow cats will, in alot of cases, set a Check Engine Light. The aftermarket cats cannot "clean up" the exhaust the way the stock ones can. Unless you have a programmer stay away from high flow cats. Here is my suggestion. IF you are going for the sound and look then get a Magnaflow single in dual out. It will give a little better performance but prolly not enough to notice. IF you are wanting more performance and are planning on doing more to the motor or computer in the near future then get a true dual from the cats back. An X pipe does look like an x and what it does is allow the exhaust an easy out. Like when 2 cylinders fire in a row on one bank all that exhaust can use both pipes to exit instead of being forced out of one. The Ford Modular motors like some backpressure. Unless you are gettign ready to do some serious performance mods 2.5 inch will work just fine and sound good. I HIGHLY recomend Mangnaflows though. Flowmasters are louder but more restrictive and burn out faster. IF you really want to add something to the truck get a programmer, X piped true duals and a cold air intake. All that should be good for 30ish HP. and 30ish torque.. Now I have to brag on my Tuner. HE got 45hp and 45tq on a 5.4 Expedition last week.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
High flow cats will, in alot of cases, set a Check Engine Light. The aftermarket cats cannot "clean up" the exhaust the way the stock ones can. Unless you have a programmer stay away from high flow cats. Here is my suggestion. IF you are going for the sound and look then get a Magnaflow single in dual out. It will give a little better performance but prolly not enough to notice. IF you are wanting more performance and are planning on doing more to the motor or computer in the near future then get a true dual from the cats back. An X pipe does look like an x and what it does is allow the exhaust an easy out. Like when 2 cylinders fire in a row on one bank all that exhaust can use both pipes to exit instead of being forced out of one. The Ford Modular motors like some backpressure. Unless you are gettign ready to do some serious performance mods 2.5 inch will work just fine and sound good. I HIGHLY recomend Mangnaflows though. Flowmasters are louder but more restrictive and burn out faster. IF you really want to add something to the truck get a programmer, X piped true duals and a cold air intake. All that should be good for 30ish HP. and 30ish torque.. Now I have to brag on my Tuner. HE got 45hp and 45tq on a 5.4 Expedition last week.
YUP! What he said!

Also, Magnaflow 16612 System SISO Stock location exhaust claims 31HP! Dyno proven.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help about duals.