Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need fuel help please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need fuel help please...

Ok guys, here’s the story. I have a 2004 f150 5.4 4x4 with 307k miles, original motor and tranny (that’s awesome right there!). Anyway, hadn’t drove it in a bit due to having a company car and decided to go fishing. Hooked Jon boat up, went 2 miles up the road to the lake. Fished, came back home. Got a couple hundred yards from the driveway and truck died (it never does that, ever). Well I tried and tried to crank it, started spinning over but wouldn’t start up. Well I look down and it says 0 miles to empty. First time I’ve ever ran ANYTHING out of gas in my life other than a weed eater. (I know it’s a no-no to run it low/out so please spare me the lashing) Call ole lady and ask her to go to he store to get me some gas. I put 3-4 gallons in the tank, continue to try to crank it and it won’t start up. So I took the plastic off the top of the motor and poured gas down in the throttle body, it fired right up and I hurried up and got it home before it burnt that gas off and died. Took battery cables off and took a nap. Woke up, went to dinner, came home and put cables back on. Truck fired right up with ease, I revved it up a few times, drove it up the street and back. Told myself “truck is good” and shut it off. Dang thing hasn’t cranked since unless I pour gas directly in throttle body. I took the fuse panel off and pushed the little red reset I read about online and it didn’t click and didn’t change anything. I just replaced the fuel pump driver module a couple months before this happened so it’s fairly new. So I figured I prob burnt up the pump. It is 15 years old and over 300k on the original. Well I dropped the tank, and pulled the pump. I can hook leads off the battery to the pump and it’ll shoot gas out, and you can hear the motor running so it seems like it’s working.

I’m a decent parts changer but not a mechanic. I haven’t put the pump and tank back in yet due to not being sure what the issue is. Any ideas??
Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 PM

Oh, also being a 04 it has no Schroeder valve to check psi on rail. I do have an edge tuner so it can give me some info To report back. Believe the only code it was throwing was low fuel pressure though
Old 10-12-2018, 04:36 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Yes a code reader that will give you fuel pressure reading from pcm

Torque pro / with android/bluetooth reader amazon does give reading .
Be careful with the no crank- no start language' Dang thing hasn’t cranked since' I think you mean no start . Sometimes it gets us crazy trying to figure out the symptoms .
There is a big difference between fuel pump pumping under pressure and just pumping out in the open I went thru this with wifes cressida intermittent pump failure . Yes I hate that they did away with the valve on the fuel rail . How about your fuel filter history .
Yes that loss of cooling on the fuel pump is a killer , things are small and very complicated buggers . I finally went to a junk yard and got a oem $50 instead of Toyota $600 new, got tired of dropping tank . .
I was going to give you the story on intermittent FPDM connector with rolled gasket in it but I don't think that applies to your case With tank down key on you should have power to pump connector . There are also some grounds to clean near that axle powering fpdm .
You must be good getting just enough fuel into TB to make it home with out hydro locking cyl . Great truck at 300k mi .
Old 10-12-2018, 07:28 AM

Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

Did you submerge your fuel pump driver module when launching/retrieving the boat?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by rocky raccoon
Did you submerge your fuel pump driver module when launching/retrieving the boat?
No I did not, it has never been under water.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by redfishtd
Torque pro / with android/bluetooth reader amazon does give reading .
Be careful with the no crank- no start language' Dang thing hasn’t cranked since' I think you mean no start . Sometimes it gets us crazy trying to figure out the symptoms .
There is a big difference between fuel pump pumping under pressure and just pumping out in the open I went thru this with wifes cressida intermittent pump failure . Yes I hate that they did away with the valve on the fuel rail . How about your fuel filter history .
Yes that loss of cooling on the fuel pump is a killer , things are small and very complicated buggers . I finally went to a junk yard and got a oem $50 instead of Toyota $600 new, got tired of dropping tank . .
I was going to give you the story on intermittent FPDM connector with rolled gasket in it but I don't think that applies to your case With tank down key on you should have power to pump connector . There are also some grounds to clean near that axle powering fpdm .
You must be good getting just enough fuel into TB to make it home with out hydro locking cyl . Great truck at 300k mi .
Fuel filter history - changed previous year, prob 6-8000 miles ago. When I pulled the filter out of the rail before dropping the tank there was fuel on both sides of the filter.

Quick Reply: Need fuel help please...