Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Navigation Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Questions.

I have a 2007 KR F-150 with the factory equipped navigation. As has been discussed on here numerous times, it leaves alot to be desired. I have been thinking of installing an aftermarket unit but have concerns that I won't be able to wire everything in correctly. Can I plug and play a unit out of a 2008 model? (I have read that this model has the newer Pioneer designed unit)
Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Even though Bama kicked the Gators butt (my choice), I'll offer some help.

Your stock Navigation unit should use the "standard" GPS antenna plug, so even an aftermarket unit would fit and work. The wiring is made easy by simply buying a $15.00 wire harness; has the factory plug on one side, and the standard color coded wires on the other to connect to any aftermarket GPS/Radio DIN unit should you decide to go with an aftermarket unit.

At one time, I thought of going with the stock GPS/Radio setup; after reading about how limited you are in getting upgraded maps and the like, I decided to go with a good quality aftermarket unit. I ended up buying a Pioneer AVIC D2 unit. It has the touch screen, GPS, great stereo, and backup camera. I can also play DVD movies (my wife likes this feature for long rides). These are features that the stock units do not all have.

My unit is now a few years old and there are newer models with Bluetooth for hands free cell phone talking (my unit does not have this).

If it were me, I'd go with a good aftermarket double DIN unit. Upgrading the maps for the GPS function is easy and cheap to obtain. Your existing roof mount GPS antenna will work just fine too.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still haven't gotten around to getting a new nav unit but after a trip out of town this weekend, the factory nav had me ready to pull out a pistol and fix it!!!
I am looking at a Pioneer Avic Z110 but still have a couple of concerns.
Will the steering wheel controls still work and do I have to buy another adapter for Sirius/XM satellite? I am really trying to avoid any splicing to the factory harness if at all possible. Ya'll help me out if you can.

Quick Reply: Navigation Questions.