Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

The mysterious noise when towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The mysterious noise when towing

On a recent fishing trip to NY from PA I got this noise coming from my rear passenger tire area. I am only towing a tracker pro team 175 bass boat that weighs 2000k at the most. The best way to explain this noise is when you grind a piece of aluminum on a sander. I eliminated the trailer because i hooked it up to my brothers jeep and my dads f150. I hook my truck up and bam, there it is. Its almost very faint when I am not towing anything. I just put new brakes/rotors in the rear, took everything apart put it back together and the noise is still there. What adds to this mystery is that when i hit the brakes the noise goes away. Could it be my axle? Anyone have any input because i am stumped!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I also get a noise when towing, sometimes even when i have a lot of weight in the box. I don't know what it is either and would like to know what it is and why it makes noise. For me it seems to come from behind the rear seats.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:16 PM

Starting to narrow down the problem. Its making the noise when i am towing because there is weight in the back end, I can hear the noise even when i am not towing but only when going over potholes. Basically this noise is gengerated when the spring sags or there is weight on the shocks. But why does it go away when i hit the brakes?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i got the same noise, i only hear it when the window is open and am going up hill and torque converter is locked in as soon as it down shift it is gone it sound like it is coming from right under my drivers side door, also i just changed shocks and got new tires, let me know when you find out what it is
Old 05-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Took the trunk into the dealership to have them look at the noise, they couldnt hear it and they didnt find anything wrong. They said everything looks good. Well now when I can hear what sounds exactly like an airgun when i hit a bump or pothole that is primarily on the right side. Whatever is wrong this is driving me nuts!! Does this noise that sounds like an airgun help with anyone explaining to me what this is?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 PM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No... But what about to use some duck tape and leave a camera recording under the truck,mpointing to the suspension while you drive it?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is going to sound odd.. but try lubricating your leaf springs.

The reason it stops when you hit the brakes is probably the weight being shifted to the front of the truck and whatever it is in the back having some tension lifted off.

I've heard of something with this problem and his was the leaf springs. He put some oil on them and it went away.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the truck out in your driveway and go forward to about 10mph or so and slam on your brakes.. Now go in reverse and slam on your brakes.. If your truck makes a horrific noise going forward and not backward it's more than likely the leaf springs. My truck made a weird noise one day going down a slight incline and i kinda hit the brakes hard and found it to be my leaf springs from playing in the driveway. Made sense as i figured the weight of the truck all shifted to the front. Its a really odd sound but i lubed them up and it has been fine since. Hopefully that's what it is..

Quick Reply: The mysterious noise when towing