Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

My low budget audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My low budget audio upgrade

So, I only had about $225 to spend on my truck. I decided to add a subwoofer. So the first step was to run the wires for the amp. I tried to cram the power wire through the grommet in the firewall, but after about 10 min. I gave up.

So, instead, I ran it under the cab. The grommet in the picture is the one I tried to get it though. The power wire is the one on the far left, going down.

There is a rubber drain plug under the door sill trim piece, that's where I brought the power wire back up through. Just drilled a hole smaller than the wire and shoved it through.

I kept the factory radio (budget again). So, I had to hook the remote wire up to a fuse. I had hoped that the fuse for the factory subwoofer (which my truck didn't have) would work, but it didn't. So, I'm using the #1 fuse. I think it's the dash display fuse (can't remember now). It doesn't stay on when the truck is off, you know, before you open the doors. But it does work, so...

I also installed a switch in that little tray below the cup holder in the dash. That way I can manually turn the sub on and off. Heads up: there is a metal support brace? behind that tray. I had to trim it a bit, so the switch wouldn't short out.

I put the amp under the passenger seat. To do it, I had to relocate the jack. I just attached it to the bottom of the seat. There's not a lot to mount to on the bottom of the seats, so it was a little tricky getting the jack to stay.

It's a TIGHT fit.

Looks pretty good though, I think.

The sub isn't a great fit but it came in this box, and it fits OK, so I just left it. Didn't feel like making/buying a custom box.

So, it's nothing fancy, but it'll do. Hope you guys enjoy the post.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Thanks! I thought for sure that the first post would be someone getting on to me for running the power wire under the cab. lol
Old 02-07-2011, 03:47 PM

Does anybody else have any ideas for alternate jack placement? It works fine where it is, but I don't know where people normally move it to...
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Your sub fits much better than mine lol. I've got the Kicker TC10 and the bench won't fold down on top of it so I've got it sitting back behind my seat which works out well because I don't want anyone sitting behind me while I'm driving lol. I like the way you moved the jack and stuff so the amp sits underneath it.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Bronco Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by John.F150
Does anybody else have any ideas for alternate jack placement? It works fine where it is, but I don't know where people normally move it to...

Put it on top of the spare tire, run the cable through the center. It works great.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by etcbrown
Put it on top of the spare tire, run the cable through the center. It works great.
Good idea! Probably want to wrap it in some bubble wrap so things don't rattle while you are driving.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 AM

Looks good, but why didnt you just cut a little hole through the firewall grommet kinda like you did with the washer plug? Thats what I have done in the past with vehicles. Did you try placing the amp under the front seats, I have my Playstation under there and it doesnt interfere with the seat moving. Just an idea. Is there any space behind the box to fit the jack or amp, I have the factory sub and dont know what space is there.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:40 AM

I just thought about it, what about placing the amp behind the rear of the seat. The only concern would be the air flow of the amp so it doesn't over heat. Here is a pic of the back seat removed, if you pull the carpet there is some space but again I dont how much and if your amp would fit. Just throwing ideas out.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 AM

Here is a pic of someone runnign it through the firewall grommet.

Quick Reply: My low budget audio upgrade