Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

My Front/Rear Bumper Delima/Suggestions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Front/Rear Bumper Delima/Suggestions Welcome

So over the past few weeks I have been wanting to do something with my chrome front/rear bumpers. I am ultimatley going with the white/black look and the bumpers seem to be one of the hardest things for me to change. I plan on getting the Saleen Black Grill and then painting the surround white so that should be pretty easy.

I have searched around but I get mixed messages about painting the chrome. I have also considered powder coating but if the two white colors don't match it will look like crap. I also considered doing them black but I'm not sure what will look the best. Any suggestions/opinions are welcome as I am going to be gone for two weeks and when I get back I want to get it taken care of. I don't have any use for a offroad style bumper and idealy an OEM replacement in the Oxford white would be my choice but they are hard to come by and cost a fortune at the dealerships.

Thanks for the help. Here is a pic of my current ride.

Oh and I am also changing the running boards to black as well...
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2010, 02:51 AM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

You shouldn't have any problems getting the powdercoating to match. Otherwise, having it painted black would look pretty mean and complement your black rims.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 AM
SoCal Thread Shredder

i painted mine

tell me if this album link works

http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...ryang/bumpers/

its all the pictures to what i did to my bumpers
Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 AM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

They worked and look good
Old 10-06-2010, 03:05 AM
SoCal Thread Shredder

haha thanks, well he can check it out and see if thats what he wants to do
Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by UnleashedFord
i painted mine
That is exactly what I would like to do. Thanks for the pic's. If you don't mind me asking what steps did you take to paint over the chrome. I don't know anything about the paintiing process other than it looks like you just hit it with some primer and then the paint. I have also heard some people use some type of adheasion promoter or something like that to get it to stick to the chrome.

Good job truck looks good.

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
You shouldn't have any problems getting the powdercoating to match. Otherwise, having it painted black would look pretty mean and complement your black rims.
Yeah I thought about the black I might have to get my wife to photoshop some stuff for me so I can see how that would look.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 AM
PURAVIDA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been wanting to do this too. I'm going for the red and black. One thing I wonder is how the rocker panels will look if I leave them red and have black bumpers. So I'm thinking about Rhino Lining the rocker panels to match. But after looking at Unleashed's photos I wonder if I should get them painted red. Now I have the same dilema.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
U.S. Army National Guard

it will look good when your done
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM

So I checked some of my local shops and was quoted around $100 to sandblast both bumpers and $200 or less to have them powdercoated. They said they have a few samples for me to look at so I can match the white color but it will have to be done by eye.

I am thinking of going this route but I am still not sure whether I want to do WHITE or BLACK.

Thanks to those who gave me some input hopefully I can get this done when I get back from vacation.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I thik black would look pretty sick. especially with black steps. white would look clean too but I think black would look really original

Quick Reply: My Front/Rear Bumper Delima/Suggestions Welcome