Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Motor shakes at idle, truck shake at 45 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Motor shakes at idle, truck shake at 45 MPH

So I have a 2005 F150 with 110,000 miles. 5.4 Screw. I have two problems and they may be separate or related.

I just replaced spark plugs, cam phasers, VCT solenoids, timing chains, guides, and tensioners.

At about 40 mph I have a pretty bad shake. I can feel it in the seat, the steering wheel, pretty much everywhere. I have double checked plugs are tight. No CEL indicating a misfire it bad COP. U-joints seem good as well. What else can you guys come up with?

Also the whole motor seems to have a shake at idle. Not terrible but more than normal. As soon as I give it a small amount of throttle then the motor stops shaking. Loose motor mounts? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CSprain
So I have a 2005 F150 with 110,000 miles. 5.4 Screw. I have two problems and they may be separate or related. I just replaced spark plugs, cam phasers, VCT solenoids, timing chains, guides, and tensioners. At about 40 mph I have a pretty bad shake. I can feel it in the seat, the steering wheel, pretty much everywhere. I have double checked plugs are tight. No CEL indicating a misfire it bad COP. U-joints seem good as well. What else can you guys come up with? Also the whole motor seems to have a shake at idle. Not terrible but more than normal. As soon as I give it a small amount of throttle then the motor stops shaking. Loose motor mounts? Any other thoughts? Thanks for any thoughts.
Re torque plugs, and clean throttle body and MAF sensor. Unplug battery and then do relearn procedure.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Sorry few things I forgot to mention. I cleaned the throttle body and MAF already. I also checked plugs. Also just had all four tires balanced. I will try the relearn process and see if that helps with either problem.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

If the engine is running smooth, even at idle, then I'd be leaning towards a motor mount as well..

It could also be a restriction in the exhaust or intake tract causing the motor to shake....
You could try checking your fender and air box for leaves and debris..
You can check the exhaust by looking for any bluing or red at the cats which is an indication of excessive heat.

If the engines running rough: You could pull the front 02's, if the motor smooths right out then your cat(s) are plugged..
Old 05-25-2014, 11:04 PM

I tried the relearn process with no success. The shake at 45 mph is only under acceleration. As soon as I let off the throttle the shake goes away. When I press the throttle again then the shake comes back until like 60mph. I know I need an alignment but I don't think that is the culprit. Seems like that wouldn't be related to the throttle.

The cats looked good, no red coloring. Seems to be okay as far as exhaust goes.

Keep anymore thoughts coming please.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't rule out transmission. Check ATF for gray metal.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:39 PM

I was sure hoping it was not the transmission. I had every intention of checking fluid and it slipped my mind. I will check it as soon as I can tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:50 AM

Transmission fluid looked good. It was full, did not smell burnt, and had no flakes of anything in it.

I was leaning towards a sticking brake but if that was the case it would constantly shake, not just under acceleration, correct?

Is there a way to see if one is sticking without seeing if one gets hot? Check for blue coloring?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Try rotating your front tires to the back. I have an out of balance tire that makes the steering wheel jump around quite a bit at 60mph and when I rotated it to the back I can't feel it at all. Also inspect your shocks for fluid loss because a bad shock can cause the wheel to hop around. Does the vibration stop when you let your foot of the gas?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:25 PM

Yes the vibration goes away when I take my foot off the gas. I will look at the shocks. I just had all four tires balanced less than 30 miles ago so that should not be the issue.

Quick Reply: Motor shakes at idle, truck shake at 45 MPH