Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Motor a little shakey when idioling

Old 05-25-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor a little shakey when idioling

Hey i have 2007 f150 fx4 and my engine is a little shakey qhen stoped at a light but qhen in park smooth as ice??
Old 05-28-2019, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D-Rock View Post
Hey i have 2007 f150 fx4 and my engine is a little shakey qhen stoped at a light but qhen in park smooth as ice??
I just picked up an actron reader to help chase down a no code misfire. Found out #4 was the culprit. I moved the COP to another cylinder and reset the data. Another test drive showed cyl 4 was the problem (misfire didn't move with the COP). Installing a new plug tomorrow.

I'd recommend getting a code reader with mode 6 capabilities. Its been a headache saver for me.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with no check engine light ? I have no warning lights or anything. And honestly havent had any real issues with my truck.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link below helped me tremendously. No code misfire.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, you can have misfires without truck error codes. I have had that too and the aftermarket COPs, that I had used with no issue for around a year were the issue. I put in the old COPs and everything was fine again.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:38 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have an android device (phone,tablet, chromebook) get yourself the TorquePro app and an ELM bluetooth reader.

Cheap (~$25) and puts a lot of info regarding your truck into your hands.

It will allow you to see which cylinder(s) are misfiring and if there are any pending error codes.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Something I've been curious about is how does the computer know precisely which cylinder is misfiring when it doesn't have a sensor per cylinder and records things per bank?
Old 05-29-2019, 02:49 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 308 Likes on 290 Posts
Default It uses several tools

One-- it looks for the crank boost when that cyl is supposed to add torque . It also looks at the cop coil collapse kick coming back at it .
Just because you don't have any codes is not Legitimate claim of nothing wrong . Misfire have thresholds to set a cel otherwise they would be a real nuisance. Damage to cats can be underway , if you can feel it and it has other symptoms you know its not right . That's why you are here being proactive before something gets worse .
That's why there is a mode six to look at raw computer counts per cyl towards setting a cel . Torque pro is really cheap . 5$ /old android phone/cheap bluetooth reader amazon . There are many fixes here. This engine is very sensitive about its ignition circuit .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor a little shakey when idioling

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: