Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Misfire Issues 2005 F150 FX4 155K

Old 09-13-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Misfire Issues 2005 F150 FX4 155K

Here's the short story. Getting a misfire on the #1 cylinder. Changed basically everything as far as a tune up is concerned. Common symptoms of rough idle, hesitation, poor fuel mileage, and once warm shaking with the misfire condition. Took it finally to Ford, and there answer was a VCT bleed down event. Told me a new engine because of the age and mileage (155K).

So, the next course was to open it up and redo all the timing chains, tensioners, guides, phasers, vct solenoids,etc. Did all this and it fired right up and ran great for about 30 mins going down the road. Now the same misfire conditions have reappeared.

Puzzled by this and the lack of a good scanner to read live data, I have now taken it somewhere to have all this data read.

The one thing that really stuck out at me once I opened the engine up was the difference between how clean the Bank 1 camshaft (pax side) compared to the Bank 2 camshaft (driver side) shown in the pics below.

If I had to take a guess I'm thinking that one side is not getting oil as good as the other and thus may be causing the above. I'm probably going to be kicking myself for not pulling the oil pan and replacing the oil pump.

If anyone has any information that can steer me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Misfire Issues 2005 F150 FX4 155K