Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Mechanic Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Mechanic Horror Stories

I was going to title this "why I hate some mechanics" but it seemed harsh because I know there are excellent ones out there. I was reminded today yet again why I dislike some mechanics. Did some more work to the truck and decided to wash it and keep forgetting to take care of the "New Customer" written on my driver side rear door that the last Ford guy wrote with some kind of grease pencil. Can only see it from certain angles and yes they gave it a half a::ed attempt at removing it because Im sure it started off as bright yellow. Anyway I thought I would share some of my stories both personal and related and see who can out do each other if its appropriate. I am a contractor by trade and I keep towels on my seats and my trucks are always spotless. One of my towels dissapeared once. Gee, must have spilled something pretty bad.
One took my antena off and laid in on the hood. I lost it doing 80mph but got a call 2 hrs later warning me
While shopping for trucks walked through the service area with the salesman to see mechanics laying greasy parts on customers seats including the one I did'nt buy.
Tire place forgot to tighten 3 lugs
Tire place took 3 hours for an alighnment(took it to a pro afterwards and he said it was way out)
Tire place installed one blackwall out and one white letter out.
Windshield guy made the air sound worse.
One guy admited referencing you tube for repairs.
I know these are'nt that bad but I'll leave you with a friends experience. He had an 80"s pristine corvette. Took it to his mechanic and kept getting the run around about waiting for parts and finding other things wrong etc. Finally after like 2 weeks he stormed in there and demanded the car back. After looking over several work orders he noticed a several hundred mile difference between the two. Turns out 2 mechanics took it to phila and raced it after joy riding it first. Blew the engine and were trying to hide it from their boss. Needless to say it did'nt end well for them. thanks for hearing me out and letting me have some fun with this topic guys

Last edited by Tommy J; 09-19-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

how about forgetting to tighten the oil plug after an oil change?... yep, that's one engine right there.
or leave a jug of washer fluid sitting on the passenger seat (Lariat leather) after a service appointment. not necessarily a big deal, I'm not that picky with the truck, but it shows that some guys just don't give a rat's ***** about customers' trucks!
The following users liked this post:
Tommy J (09-20-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Or cross thread the oil plug on a scheduled service and try to blame it on you the next time they service it
Tommy J (09-20-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

My mother in law had her "mechanic shop" attempt to fix her over heating car before I fixed it. Zeiks put the wrong thermostat in and used RTV sealant because it did not fit right which caused a huge coolant leak, wired the 2 fans together and charged her for a temp sensor that they did not replace. Charged her for a full tune up 4 different times, which I pulled out the original GM plugs and GM fuel filter (at 168,000 miles) after the car would not start anymore.
Tommy J (09-20-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My old ranger wasnt blowing heat anymore in the middle of winter so i brought it to a mechanic i rarely dealt with, he told me the radiator was shot and they would need to remove the entire front end to get to it and put in a new one, estimate of repairs $950, i said, i'd like a second opinion. So i brought it to my regular mechanic, he poped in a new tstat for $40, good to go.

Again, with my old ranger i was getting a rubbing noise and binding in my steering, brought it to a local mechanic who said it was the steering box, $500 later i had a new steering box and all the same problems. Brought it back and he said it was the u-joints this time and estimate cost was $240.. I baisically told him to F OFF and im not giving him a dime, he fixed my u joints for free. still pissed i paid $500 for u-joints and a steering box i didnt need.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoKers06:
grss429 (09-20-2015), Tommy J (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy J
I was going to title this "why I hate some mechanics" but it seemed harsh because I know there are excellent ones out there. I was reminded today yet again why I dislike some mechanics. Did some more work to the truck and decided to wash it and keep forgetting to take care of the "New Customer" written on my driver side rear door that the last Ford guy wrote with some kind of grease pencil. Can only see it from certain angles and yes they gave it a half a::ed attempt at removing it because Im sure it started off as bright yellow. Anyway I thought I would share some of my stories both personal and related and see who can out do each other if its appropriate. I am a contractor by trade and I keep towels on my seats and my trucks are always spotless. One of my towels dissapeared once. Gee, must have spilled something pretty bad.
One took my antena off and laid in on the hood. I lost it doing 80mph but got a call 2 hrs later warning me
While shopping for trucks walked through the service area with the salesman to see mechanics laying greasy parts on customers seats including the one I did'nt buy.
Tire place forgot to tighten 3 lugs
Tire place took 3 hours for an alighnment(took it to a pro afterwards and he said it was way out)
Tire place installed one blackwall out and one white letter out.
Windshield guy made the air sound worse.
One guy admited referencing you tube for repairs.
I know these are'nt that bad but I'll leave you with a friends experience. He had an 80"s pristine corvette. Took it to his mechanic and kept getting the run around about waiting for parts and finding other things wrong etc. Finally after like 2 weeks he stormed in there and demanded the car back. After looking over several work orders he noticed a several hundred mile difference between the two. Turns out 2 mechanics took it to phila and raced it after joy riding it first. Blew the engine and were trying to hide it from their boss. Needless to say it did'nt end well for them. thanks for hearing me out and letting me have some fun with this topic guys
Man, these are good and I am laughing. Its just funny how they put that paper on your floor but leave greasy fingerprints all over your car like some kind of zoo monkey got loose . You should have seen the look on the cops face when he started writing the ticket on my hood after I had it painted. I said can you please not do that there. Go use your hood. Its just a lack of repect and character for most of these stories. I think women get ripped the most. My mom was told she needed brakes during an inspection. I did them all 2 days before. I paid that sob a visit and ripped him a new one. His shop failed. Thanks guys for the stories and hang on to your good mechanic. It always pays for any mechanic to know you work on your own car. It helps keep them honest
Old 09-20-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took my 07 f150 in for scheduled maintenance, mechanic came out 10 minutes later and said my oil plug had been cross threaded. Showed him the receipt from when they changed the oil last 4500 miles before. He argued for 15 minutes that he NEVER messes up. He also came back and said that I needed a new thermostat, a new timing chain, and a new ECM.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:48 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy J
It always pays for any mechanic to know you work on your own car. It helps keep them honest
I like to play dumb. The only time I will take a vehicle to someone else is if I don't have the time or equipment. I almost always know exactly what needs to be done, and have a price range I'm willing to pay. If they try to give me some bs lines, I just walk away. Then again, I've narrowed down the people I will use.
I had a head pulled at a dealership once. When I got the truck back, both valve covers, timing cover and oil pan were profusely leaking oil, the pcm was missing two mounting bolts, the power steering was leaking, and the exhaust was leaking. Needless to say, I took it back and made them replace the valve cover gaskets and exhaust leak. I didn't want them to touch anything else, so I fixed the valve cover and oil pan since I was about to replace the water pump. They gave me two free oil change coupons, but I gave them to my dad.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Took my '93 mustang gt into dealer to have an alignment and tire rotated and balanced. Tires were weighted on inside (didn't want outside rim getting scuffed), so I politely asked for the wheels to be weighted similarly (inner rim weights or tape). Got the car back with weights on the outside of the wheel. Service writer caught it and asked if I was ok with it. My mistake I guess, because I said 'No, I want it the way I asked.' Must have pissed off the tire guy, but he 'fixed' it. Once I left the dealer, and got back on the interstate, every bump I hit felt like it was gonna throw me off the road. Got home and checked the tires. He retaliated by inflating my tires to 50 psi. I called the dealer and the service guy said I was mistaken, that it wasn't possible. Of course, tire guy says he inflated to 32, and I was crazy. Done with that dealer.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Estarr08
Took my 07 f150 in for scheduled maintenance, mechanic came out 10 minutes later and said my oil plug had been cross threaded. Showed him the receipt from when they changed the oil last 4500 miles before. He argued for 15 minutes that he NEVER messes up. He also came back and said that I needed a new thermostat, a new timing chain, and a new ECM.
Seems alot of cross threading is going on. How in the world do they mess that up. The receipt in the face was awesome. Thanks

Quick Reply: Mechanic Horror Stories