Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

May have a lead on my misfire...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default May have a lead on my misfire...

So I may have a lead on this misfire problem that has been going on for the past year or so. Today I changed the fuel filter, since the truck is getting up there in miles (almost 80k) and I was HOPING it could fix the problem. Well of course it didn't, but the CEL was on after the filter swap since I had to unplug the fuel pump it threw two EVAP codes from the swap, and this time there was a cylinder 5 misfire (first time it was on this cylinder), and a bank A Camshaft Position Censor code. I am hoping that this is the fix for the misfire, but I am going to have to wait until next payday to buy the sensors. I just thought I'd let you other guys know that have have the stupid misfire problem, but haven't found a solution, and I also wanted to know if any one could tell me which bank is A, and B.

Thanks,

Cody Scherer
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx for the info i have a 06 and have a misterious misfire problem also! gonna check those sensors, thx again let me know if u find anything else and ill do the same,
Old 10-03-2010, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC bank 1 is the drivers side and bank 2 is the passenger side.

there is no bank "a" or "b"

are your spark plugs original? if so thats most likely why youre missing.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:04 PM

ive changed my plugs, my cop's, my injectors and fuel filter and its still there,
Old 10-03-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stp77
ive changed my plugs, my cop's, my injectors and fuel filter and its still there,
Cop's? Do you mean coils? I had the same thing and i bought a used motor for $900 and installed it myself ford said it was low compression have you checked it? i haven't pulled the head off to see if its a bent valve or hole in the piston.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:40 PM

cop's stand for coil on plug, this is my third ford with a 5.4 and nothin but problems, and im a die hard for fan, man why did they let the 5,0 go? best engine ever built!im in canada cant find a motor for under 1600$ rta is a company that sell engine here they sell a 5.0 for 500$ and a 5.4 for 1800? when i asked why they said suply and demand they sell 1 5.0 every 6 months and install 3 5.4 a week!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by rick99601
IIRC bank 1 is the drivers side and bank 2 is the passenger side.

there is no bank "a" or "b"

are your spark plugs original? if so thats most likely why youre missing.
Well the scanner that they use at Advanced labeled it as Bank A. The plug on cylinder 8 has been changed, and from what I have read on this forum, a lot of the time the spark plugs doesn't fix it. That would be saying that one plug is going bad right after the other. The misfire was on cylinder 3, and I didn't do anything about it, now a few months later it's on cylinder 5. More then likely it's not the plugs, it's what's telling the coils to fire, which I'm pretty sure is the Camshaft Position Sensors. As far as an update, I drove to Jacksonville today (About 150 miles each way) and the code has not tripped again which kinda dissapoints me... I hope that'll still be the fix.

Last edited by 05F150XLT; 10-03-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 PM

bump
Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 05F150XLT
So I may have a lead on this misfire problem that has been going on for the past year or so. Today I changed the fuel filter, since the truck is getting up there in miles (almost 80k) and I was HOPING it could fix the problem. Well of course it didn't, but the CEL was on after the filter swap since I had to unplug the fuel pump it threw two EVAP codes from the swap, and this time there was a cylinder 5 misfire (first time it was on this cylinder), and a bank A Camshaft Position Censor code. I am hoping that this is the fix for the misfire, but I am going to have to wait until next payday to buy the sensors. I just thought I'd let you other guys know that have have the stupid misfire problem, but haven't found a solution, and I also wanted to know if any one could tell me which bank is A, and B.

Thanks,

Cody Scherer
Just replaced my spark plugs at 73K miles and there was nothing much left of them. Had a misfire when passing at about 55MPH but never got a CEL. I have had misfires before with a CEL light (eventually), and the colprits were coil packs, one at 49K and one at 60K. I'm thinking and would first try coil pack on the cylinder you got the misfire. If you get another CEL on the same cylinder, change that plug (or all if you can deal with the stress)
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 PM

just had cyl 7 misfire issues on my 2005 as well. turned out to be a bad fuel injector and now i am getting a new engine at the dealer for free. look up the service bulletin for 2005 f150 only. they have lots of injector problems. lift the fuel rail and see if it is dripping. if it is your most likely under warranty for the issue (11 years 150,000 miles)

Quick Reply: May have a lead on my misfire...