Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lucas Power Steering stop leak.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Lucas Power Steering stop leak.

Has anyone used this and has it worked for you? I had a very, very slow leak in my power steering. It would drop from max to min in 2 1/2 - 3 months, my power steering fluid was due to be changed so I removed the old fluid, dumped in a bottle of the Lucas stop leak and some of the Lucas fluid I normally use. A couple days passed and my reservoir was to the bottom, so I dumped 3/4 of a bottle of stop leak in because the bottle says it may require 2 bottles of stop leak to plug it up. A day passed and the reservoir dropped to 1/2 way between max and min, so I added the remaining stop leak.

It's still leaking, I bought a 3rd bottle and will give it one last try and hope it works, if not I'm going to pay out the rear for a new rack/pinion and pump. It's amazing that the stop leak which is so thick actually made the problem worse, now my pump squeals for several seconds when I start my truck up as well.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe your leak is 2 large for swollen seals to cover or could just be a hose letting it drip out.

Give Mobil 1 ATF a shot. VI high so might be think enough. Only one way too know! Good luck!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Rack & pinin rebuild kit

I also have a Rack & pinion leaking oil. I purchased a rebuild kit, but it came with no instructions. Does anyone know if there is a detailed breakdown in a Haynes or Chilton repair manual?

If anyone could post this info I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

check under/ behind the front bumper. There is a hard to goes to a rubber line with a clip on the hose. I found this spot oily with dirt on it. This line return back to the reservoir.

I just top off the level up every couple months
Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

I had a slow leak in mine also. I ended up purging the PS reservoir and system, and refilling it with Synthetic Mercon 5 and about half a bottle of lucas. Slowed the leak down to a min. and I only have to add once every month or two.

Quick Reply: Lucas Power Steering stop leak.