Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

low rear end fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts
Default low rear end fluid

Well, i've been having a small turning stutter in re-end and I know it means clutch packs/LSD additive when i first bought the truck i redid all fluids, both diffs, trans, fuel filter plugs etc.. I do all my own work... so i went to check my rear diff fluid and add some LSD... and the axle seal's aren't leaking, covers not leaking.. when i took the fill plug out it had a huge silverish metal look to it never good... I ended up about a half of QT... of fluid... where the hell did it go...? what is most likely to burn up

should i open the cover and drain/clean it out again?

i've also been trying to chase down a 50-55 MPH vibration it was really strong but after 55-60 mph it cleared up fine almost had a "hop" to it
Old 01-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

How do you know the axle seals aren't leaking?

Did you check it on the same surface as you filled it when changing fluids?

The shake at 50-60 is known as 'bed shake' and is common with this generation of truck. If you add weight to the rear corners of the bed it usually will decrease or go away.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Toshbar
How do you know the axle seals aren't leaking?

Did you check it on the same surface as you filled it when changing fluids?

The shake at 50-60 is known as 'bed shake' and is common with this generation of truck. If you add weight to the rear corners of the bed it usually will decrease or go away.
How do i know axles seals aren't leaking?

Well, there is no fluid or built up around the rear of the axle, behind rotors. there is no wet spots, or "sweating" there is no fluid in the drums, I'm a mechanic by day, I'm just a bit confused on how I did a re-end service and it's a half qt low in a month fluid doesn't just poof it's going somewhere.

the "bed shake" has just started happening within a month so and it must be more to it then that as soon as i break 55 mph it goes away

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about the 04-08 f150's i've been around quite a bit of them and fixed them I know about 90% of the TSB's

phasers/exhaust manifolds/vct's timing chain guides tensioners leaking down. bed bounce, water leaks i've experienced just about all of theses at 1 point

Last edited by grss429; 01-09-2016 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Toshbar (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 07:50 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd be interested to know where it's going also. It's gotta be setting in there somewhere or you didn't get it full. Let us know.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by HeathMc
I'd be interested to know where it's going also. It's gotta be setting in there somewhere or you didn't get it full. Let us know.
Im also wondering how long before the bearing go now...
Old 01-09-2016, 08:48 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by grss429
Im also wondering how long before the bearing go now...
Yeah. Something is gonna come apart with that vibration starting. Got a whine or anything yet?
Old 01-09-2016, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by HeathMc
Yeah. Something is gonna come apart with that vibration starting. Got a whine or anything yet?
No thats the problem no whining nothing just a strong 50-55 mph vibration, starting to think it might be tires/drive shaft related i'll have to check the runout of the shaft..

but once i seen the rear end i thought it might be the cause
Old 01-09-2016, 10:53 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Any pinion shaft runout?

I thought I had a bent driveshaft because of a 70mph shake. Was pretty violent. Ended up being tires. Was weird because it felt like it was coming from the rear, so I swapped rear rims/tires with my dad's 2011 tires and it still did the same thing. No shimmy in the steering wheel while all this was going on. Bought some Michelins and it all went away. Somehow the front goodyear POS tires were making the shake feel like it was coming from the rear.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Mark

Received 2,415 Likes on 2,116 Posts

I would pull the diff cover and check it out...silver fluid is not good...
Old 01-10-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toshbar
Any pinion shaft runout?

I thought I had a bent driveshaft because of a 70mph shake. Was pretty violent. Ended up being tires. Was weird because it felt like it was coming from the rear, so I swapped rear rims/tires with my dad's 2011 tires and it still did the same thing. No shimmy in the steering wheel while all this was going on. Bought some Michelins and it all went away. Somehow the front goodyear POS tires were making the shake feel like it was coming from the rear.
Same here on the shake...i had sra GoodYear's on the rear..they just wouldn't balance right.Rear end shook real bad 50-58 mph, took them off and put another brand on..no more shake...

Quick Reply: low rear end fluid