Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Low Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Power

New User here...

My 04 doesnt seem to have any power. I have had it serviced...replaced the filter with a cold air intake system, replaced the fuel filter, but the truck just doesnt have any power. When i floor it, the truck revs up but barely goes or goes slowly...the transmission is not slipping i am pretty sure. I would figure a 5.4 v8 should throw u a little back when u floor it, but it just doesnt happen. I have a 98 4 cyl van that takes off better. I mean it runs just fine...but has terrible power...very sluggish.

Descriptive info:
04 v8 5.4 L
about 85k miles
no wrecks..no major mechanical probs
has a spectre cold air intake system installed.
ran fuel injector cleaner through
ran auto-rx through the oil to clean out the carbon
replaced fuel filter
none of these helped.

Thanks for any help...let me know if u need any more info.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

has the truck always run like this? or only since a certain point?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 AM

what gears you have in rearend cause if you got some like 3.33's thats kills your power throw a set of 4.11's or 3.73's and you should feel a big diffrence
Old 04-05-2010, 01:01 AM

Do you have the stock tires on it? If so you should feel "power" when stepping on the pedal even with stock gears. If you have put larger tires on it the quickest way to feel "power" is like what was said before new gears. If you want a cheap alternative you could look at getting a edge evo, gryphon, or custom tune. A lot of people say this helps compinsate for lost power.

Eather way, if you want a throw you in The seat feeling, you should get a sports car

that's why I have a mustang and a truck
Old 04-05-2010, 02:16 AM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

The transmissions are set up for smooth, soft shifts. That's one reason why it doesn't "throw you back". If you get an Edge or other programmer you can set the transmission to really hit hard.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 AM

It hasnt always run like this...just lately i have noticed less and less power...when i first got the truck about a year ago..it had really good power. Im not looking just for throw u in your seat power, but it used to push u back a little...now the engine just revs up really loud but doesnt go that awful well. Like i said my four cylinder van takes off better...

i did a 0-60 and it is usually 12-13 sec...i was told it should always b under 11 sec on this truck. when im trying to merge onto the interstate, i usually am not at the speed of the flow of traffic by the time i merge so it is a pain...and when i try to pass someone on a two lane road, it is super difficult...the truck just doesnt want to go.

I know i need to put spark plugs in. Some people have suggested a plugged cat possibility, or a trans problem. Any more help?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Diver28
It hasnt always run like this...just lately i have noticed less and less power...when i first got the truck about a year ago..it had really good power. Im not looking just for throw u in your seat power, but it used to push u back a little...now the engine just revs up really loud but doesnt go that awful well. Like i said my four cylinder van takes off better...

i did a 0-60 and it is usually 12-13 sec...i was told it should always b under 11 sec on this truck. when im trying to merge onto the interstate, i usually am not at the speed of the flow of traffic by the time i merge so it is a pain...and when i try to pass someone on a two lane road, it is super difficult...the truck just doesnt want to go.

I know i need to put spark plugs in. Some people have suggested a plugged cat possibility, or a trans problem. Any more help?

i think your problem maybe with the cold air intake....i have an 04 5.4 as well and once i put my CAI on it w/o a custom tune it ran like junk....i believe they contribute it to running a little lean bc there is a known issue with some 04 and 05's i believe not responding well to the CAI alone and need a custom tune to fix the issue....maybe you need to take the CAI off and put the stock intake on for now just to see if that helps...if it does then you no your issue...if not then you eliminated one possibility....

but you may need to get a programmer like a gryphon that can carry custom tunes on it if you ask me

Quick Reply: Low Power