Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking for some advice on my new truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Looking for some advice on my new truck

I recently bought a 2006 F-150 XLT 4x4 145" Scab with 146,000 miles. It makes some noise like the exhaust has been removed, though the tail pipe is still present. I am getting the P0420 and P0430 error codes (catalytic converter efficiency below threshhold) and the Check Engine Light is on.

I am wondering if the Catalytic Converters may have been cut out of this truck. I have yet to crawl under there and look, as I am not 100% sure what to look for. Would these be immediately located behind the headers and look similar to a muffler?

Would having these cut out cause these error codes? Or should I suspect another issue at this point?

If they have been removed, what are my options for exhaust? I love the sound of Magnaflow, should I just put one of their systems in from the headers on back? or should I bite the bullet and put in some long headers from Dynomax?

Either way, I plan to do a Tune up before I invest in the exhaust (i.e., spark plugs, coils, fuel filter, pcv valve). Is there anything else I should do as a semi-routine maintenance item before I go an start upgrading the truck?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Your cats might be bad or a bad O2 sensor.

The cats are located right behind the manifold and before the exhaust system starts. If the cats are removed, a cat back exhaust will not take care of the problem. Hence " Catalytic Converter Back ".

As for options on Exhausts, there are actually A LOT of options for you. It really comes down to the style and sound you are looking for...Magnaflow, Gibson, Flowmaster, Banks etc...

JT
The following users liked this post:
cwcaesar (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I understand that a Cat Back Exhaust won't address a Catalytic Converter problem. I just didn't know if I should throw a good full exhaust on there, or if there is another issue that could be creating a problem for a Catalytic Converter that I should address before spending the dough on the exhaust.

I guess I will crawl under there and see if the Cats have been cut loose.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2015, 12:12 PM
F150 Forum

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by cwcaesar
I recently bought a 2006 F-150 XLT 4x4 145" Scab with 146,000 miles. It makes some noise like the exhaust has been removed, though the tail pipe is still present. I am getting the P0420 and P0430 error codes (catalytic converter efficiency below threshhold) and the Check Engine Light is on.

I am wondering if the Catalytic Converters may have been cut out of this truck. I have yet to crawl under there and look, as I am not 100% sure what to look for. Would these be immediately located behind the headers and look similar to a muffler?

Would having these cut out cause these error codes? Or should I suspect another issue at this point?
I'd start with the O2 sensor if the cats are still there, as Jaytizzle recommended. The cats generally look, as you said, like mufflers but a bit smaller and located right after the headers. There are a few different styles, but here are a couple to give you a general idea of what to look for:

We actually just posted a two-part tech piece on catalytic converters and why they're actually beneficial to run on modern engines (Part 1 here, Part 2 here). Those posts have more pictures, too, that might be helpful.

Originally Posted by cwcaesar
If they have been removed, what are my options for exhaust? I love the sound of Magnaflow, should I just put one of their systems in from the headers on back? or should I bite the bullet and put in some long headers from Dynomax?
We don't actually sell a single system that goes from the headers all the way back, but we separately sell direct-fit Catalytic Converters and cat-back systems for the 2006 F150.

You can find the list of cat-backs here.

The links to our cats can't be direct-linked, unfortunately, because of the design of the system, but if you go to our 49-state Catalytic Converters page here, and search "FORD TRUCK > F-150 Pickup > 2006," you can see what we offer there, too.

That's a lot of information, so don't hesitate to PM me to help parse it.
cwcaesar (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 11:17 AM

Update:
After researching the possible causes of the Catalytic Converter Threshhold faults, I decided to start with a spark plug change. So...down to my local O'Reilly's for plugs. I knew of the issue with the plugs, so I asked them if they had the Lisle tool in stock. They had none for sale, but they did have a loaner available. I put down the $120 deposit for the loaner and I was on my way (plus the Motorcraft plugs). I got home and pulled the air intake off and held my breath as I went to work on the first plug...came loose easily. Got it pulled out and I was glad to see Autolite, letting me know that the plugs had been changed from the original problem plugs. So relieved!!!

Anyway, I got all 8 plugs changed with no issue. Only a few hours work and saved myself about $400 from having the local garage do the work. And, this had the desired result of clearing the Check Engine Light! Woohoo!! Success.

I also decided to do some crawling around under the truck to see what was to be discovered as far as exhaust goes. Well...the catalytic converters are in place. I also noticed that there is a Flowmaster exhaust installed. (no wonder I don't like the sound of this truck) I am not a fan of the extra loud noise. Like I said earlier, I thought that the exhaust had been removed completely. Anyway, that's a problem for a different day.

How can I tell if the Cats are original to the truck or if they have been replaced as well? I couldn't see any markings, but I could have overlooked them. There is a bit of surface rust all the way from the headers to the tail pipe.

I think my next project will be the Coil Packs and the Fuel Filter replacements. Then maybe the Oxygen sensors.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

not really what you're asking but, if you had a spark plug that was bade enough that it was throwing raw fuel down the exhaust, those cats maybe on their way out now
Old 05-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Yeah, I have considered that, but I want to be sure the initial issue is fixed before I install new cats and have them ruined too. The plugs didn't look that bad. I will post pics later and get another opinion on the condition of the plugs though.
uzikaduzi (05-26-2015)

Quick Reply: Looking for some advice on my new truck