Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

looking to get a tuner...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking to get a tuner...need help!

hey guys i have a 2005 f150 5.4l with a KN cold air intake. i have been looking around and i found that you should run a tune with an intake on these engines so i want to get one. however i have very little knowledge about tuners/tunes. i want to know what is a good tuner and how do i get tunes other than the canned tunes on them and can i get tunes from different companies even if its not their tuner? any help is appreciated thanks guys.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

You don't really need a tuner for just the intake.

A custom tune is not really needed for what you have on the truck...unless you have more things done that we don't know about.

Easiest way to start is contact 5 Star tuning and they can get you started with any questions.

JT
Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

A tuner will be the only way you'll actually see improvements from the CAI. These trucks come with a CAI from the factory. I don't know a lot about tuners as I don't have one but I hear lots of good things about the Edge EVOs
Old 02-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

You can get an SCT4 tuner (or a few other tuners) from 5 Star, MPT or many others, and but custom tunes with it at a discount. Tuner will come to you with only canned tunes. You then hook it up to your truck to get you engine strategy, and send that to the tuner. Within a few days, they will email you new custom tunes, which you will load onto your tuner, and then into your truck. Tuners will hold 10 custom tunes, and you can have tunes from more than 1 company on the same tuner.

I have been reading up on this too. There are a couple of good threads here that provide good info.

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-star...-tuner-168954/

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/sct-x4...5-star-352235/

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/5-star...i-pick-338058/

TLDR version. Most of the top tuning companies are very good. 5 Star seems to have good usable tunes for everyday use. MPT seems to be more customizable and will give you a little more power. But some didn't like the aggressiveness. Unleashed and SSI get mentions, and good reviews.

I have talked to 5Star and MPT. Both responded pretty quick, and answered all of my questions. I think I will be going with MPT myself. They are fairly local to me and I have actually been to their shop a few years ago. Inspected the building and met the owner. It honestly was a really tough call between the 2 tuners. Both seem to be very good.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys appreciate all the info definitely will try contacting those companies
Old 02-16-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

I have stuck with the new SCT X4 and custom tunes from MPT and this has been the best I have encountered yet. I started with the bullydog and also had the EDGE cs but only used the canned tunes that came preprogrammed. I was VERY unhappy with bullydog and edge.... With that being said, the custom tunes were the major difference. I'm running a CAI, up graded coil packs, High flow CATs and true dual exhaust (no mufflers). I noticed with the SCT and MPT tunes, much faster throttle response and the truck is a bit peppier than stock. BUT if you are wanting to see major performance you need to go with a blower. everyone I have dealt with says on the 5.4 the gains are minimal with just some bolt ons and tuner. the guys at MPT figure I'm getting 30+ HP and 40+ foot lbs for torque increases. hope this information helps.