Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Locker Advice for '07

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locker Advice for '07

I've searched the forum and can't find good info on purchase/install amount for 07 Screw. Any help would be much appreciated as my baby got embarrassed last night in some nasty mud! A locker will be my next mod...just not very educated on them. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the love my truck hate my 2wd thread below this one. Guy has the same question issue.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

An eaton tru-trac limited slip is your best bet. way better than the factory limited slip. lockers are hard to drive with one the normal road, unless you spend a ton of money and get a selectable locker, which you can turn on or off. here's what i recommend, they have other products on their site you can check out as well.
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...troitTruetrac/
Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by nrceptr
Check out the love my truck hate my 2wd thread below this one. Guy has the same question issue.
Same guy.....lol
Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 06screwlariat
An eaton tru-trac limited slip is your best bet. way better than the factory limited slip. lockers are hard to drive with one the normal road, unless you spend a ton of money and get a selectable locker, which you can turn on or off. here's what i recommend, they have other products on their site you can check out as well.
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...troitTruetrac/
Hard to drive on a normal road? Is a locker like a spool? Maybe I don't understand the concept of a "locker"!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a detroit in the rear of my blazer and a lock rite in the front. I have not had any problems with them at all. I don't drive it on the street mutch but if you gas it going around a turn on pavement the detroit will cause the rear to stay locked and cherp the tires. the key to driving with a detroit is let off the throtle start turning and then apply more throtle. The limited slip is good but if you drive offroad alot it will slip to much for what you want to do with it. The lock rite installs in an open carrier so you don't have to reset you ring and pinion and is alot cheaper but it make lots of noise sounds like a loud ratchet. If I was going to put a locker in a daily driver I would spent the extra and go selectable( ARB air locker would be my first choice, and Ox-locker would be my close second).The Ox is nice because you it doesn't use air or an electric silonoid to activate the locker. The Ox uses a cable and leaver witch is a great setup i think.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Zac T.
I have a detroit in the rear of my blazer and a lock rite in the front. I have not had any problems with them at all. I don't drive it on the street mutch but if you gas it going around a turn on pavement the detroit will cause the rear to stay locked and cherp the tires. the key to driving with a detroit is let off the throtle start turning and then apply more throtle. The limited slip is good but if you drive offroad alot it will slip to much for what you want to do with it. The lock rite installs in an open carrier so you don't have to reset you ring and pinion and is alot cheaper but it make lots of noise sounds like a loud ratchet. If I was going to put a locker in a daily driver I would spent the extra and go selectable( ARB air locker would be my first choice, and Ox-locker would be my close second).The Ox is nice because you it doesn't use air or an electric silonoid to activate the locker. The Ox uses a cable and leaver witch is a great setup i think.
This is what i meant, lockers aren't street friendly, unless you go selectable. when he says going around with the throttle on the tires will chirp, and if the road is wet or snowy it can also cause you to spin out. Also with the lock-rite he mentions they are loud when they are engaging. I wouldn't be able to have all this noise and risk or spinning out in my daily driver, especially if i lend it to my mom or girlfriend who doesn't understand the concept of driving a locked vehicle. But that's just me. A lock rite/detroit is a good choice if you can handle it on a regular road. I'm no locker pro, i just know a few things
Old 08-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the real question you sould ask yourself is how often do you offroad and how competitive would you like to be. Do you use your truck for a daily driver? About 50% street 50% offroad? More offroad than street? Are you looking to mud race or just show up the boys at the local mud hole? Then I would look at that aplication and pick the traction aid that is best for your truck.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i run a locker on my truck and its my daily driver. i have never had any issues with spinning out or chirping the tires. just dont stab the throttle going around turns and youll be fine. we drive 6000# trucks that are really long, its pretty hard to spin one out.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep...same guy! Thanks for the help. Think I'm gonna spend the $ for the selectable locker. I'm not off road much and my rig is a daily driver. I just get that itch sometimes to drive through stuff I shouldn't!

Quick Reply: Locker Advice for '07