Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Livernois lock out

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Livernois lock out

I have an 05 5.4 scab with 117k miles and it runs alright. the idle isn't the smoothest and it sounds like the typical diesel f150. I was thinking about doing a timing kit, lifters, and a livernois cam phaser lock out. the most expensive thing is the lock out ($700) I was just wondering if anyone has done this/if this is a good or bad idea/other options.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 256 Likes on 213 Posts

I haven't done the lockouts myself, I am just not a fan of them, I believe that if you use the upgraded OEM Ford parts, change out the oil pump, make sure the oil screen and passages are clean, you will be good. If you have the noise now, you need to change the phasers anyway, just use the good parts and take care of your engine. I changed mine and its running and sounding great, ready for another couple hundred thousand miles now. Just my 2 cents though, good luck.
Tom
Old 10-20-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vintageman
I haven't done the lockouts myself, I am just not a fan of them, I believe that if you use the upgraded OEM Ford parts, change out the oil pump, make sure the oil screen and passages are clean, you will be good. If you have the noise now, you need to change the phasers anyway, just use the good parts and take care of your engine. I changed mine and its running and sounding great, ready for another couple hundred thousand miles now. Just my 2 cents though, good luck. Tom
thanks I might have to go that way. I'm just worried the noise will come back in no time. Do the new parts have revisions to make then not fail?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 256 Likes on 213 Posts

from what I understand is the pins on the original phasers were hollow, these are solid. There is also at least one version of updated VCT solenoids that you should look into getting to replace the older ones. Ensure that if you do the VCT solenoids, that prior to install, dip them in oil then install. If you re-use your old ones, spray them with throttle body cleaner to clean any crap inside and then dip them in oil before installation. I also changed out all 24 lash adjusters and followers while I was in there. I didn't want to have to go back in there and its a good thing I checked them because out of 24, I had 13 bad lash adjusters in addition to 2 blown out seals on the timing tensioners and a right side timing guide broke in 4 pieces. Not a hard job, just time consuming. Take your time, mark your cam lobes after you set your harmonic balancer timing mark, make sure the cam lobes are in the correct position when your timing mark is lined up, if not, rotate the crank by hand another 360 degrees and check the cam lobes again. Once good, mark the cams and cap holders with a paint marker or nail polish to maintain what position they are in and start taking the components off. Take your time, it is worth it.
Good Luck
Tom
The following users liked this post:
bill2014 (10-21-2014)

Quick Reply: Livernois lock out