Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lisle spark plug tool worn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lisle spark plug tool worn?

Greetings F150 family. My plugs on my '05 Lariat are waaaay overdue for replacement. I bought the Lisle spark plug tool and read every forum post and watched every youtube video to make sure that I was doing it right. Well I ended up breaking 7 of 8 plugs. I was able to remove 4 of the 7 that were broken but the last 3, cyl #1, cyl #4 and cyl #8 I cannot get the tool to bight. It seems that the threads are worn. Of course a 3/8-14 left hand die is impossible to find so i attempted to sharpen the treads with no joy and I still cannot remove the last 3 broken plugs. Has anyone experienced a worn tool or know of anybody who's tool wore out before all broken plugs were removed? Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:15 PM

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

They definitely do wear out, but not after a handful of plugs. I've had mine for a few years, extracted probably 100 plugs with it without issue. Are you sure you're pushing the porcelain down all the way?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:50 PM

Uggggg. Yes i made sure the pusher body was screwed all the way into the spark plug threads and the pusher screw was bottomed out against the top of the pusher body just like the instructions says.

One thing I didn't mention was that the threads on the puller screw are rounded and it seams to be tapered.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bart98stang
Uggggg. Yes i made sure the pusher body was screwed all the way into the spark plug threads and the pusher screw was bottomed out against the top of the pusher body just like the instructions says. One thing I didn't mention was that the threads on the puller screw are rounded and it seams to be tapered.
I'll try to remember to take a picture of mine tomorrow at work so you can compare threads. I've seen guys not thread the tool enough into the electrode and start to pull it out and end up ripping the tool out, so much so that it took the metal they need to thread into out and ended up pulling the heads.

I've also seen guys over tighten the tool into the electrode and rip the threads the tool cuts in out, also ending up in pulling heads.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:49 PM

Unfortunately I cannot connect my phone to my computer to download the pics of my threads to post on here but they are pretty beat up and not sharp as they were out of the box.

I'm hoping that maybe some reason, probably my own fault that the threads are too worn to bite into the broken plug/
Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM

Try chasing the threads with a thread die. I had the same problem but I bought a used tool.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:04 PM

That was my first thought but since it's left hand and being 3/8-14 thread the die will be impossible to find without being special order and it'll probably cost just as much as a new tool
Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem , only was able to do 4 plugs before the extractor was useless , called Lisle on it they pretty much said too bad so sad ! ended up buying another extractor and in the mean time was lucky enough to borrow another so I could get the job done.

Great tool as long as it is working but I think that the company should have stepped up and replaced the extractor as is failed so early .just my opinion but for the 80 bucks I would have thought I could have done a few more plugs
Steve
Old 09-08-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 57_kid
I had the same problem , only was able to do 4 plugs before the extractor was useless , called Lisle on it they pretty much said too bad so sad ! ended up buying another extractor and in the mean time was lucky enough to borrow another so I could get the job done.

Great tool as long as it is working but I think that the company should have stepped up and replaced the extractor as is failed so early .just my opinion but for the 80 bucks I would have thought I could have done a few more plugs
Steve
Kid, hopefully I'm in the same situation that my tool just wore out extremely quickly. I did order another tool from amazon and it will be here tomorrow so we'll see if I can remove the remaining 3 or if I'm towing my truck to the nearest dealer.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DenLors Tools
Lisle 65620
Puller screw replacement
$29.17

Quick Reply: Lisle spark plug tool worn?