Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lisle 65600 Tool Question

Old 06-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lisle 65600 Tool Question

Jumped in to the good ol' spark plug change today. Rear plug on the driver side broke off. My question is will the lisle 65600 tool be able to remove this, or did the piece thats broken fall off in to the head If the lisle tool can remove the broken piece, is there anything special I need to do, i have never had the experience of a plug breaking

Old 06-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I assume the photo is the part that came out of your truck. If that's correct, then the lisle tool is specifically intended and designed to solve your problem. It's pretty common. I broke two or three plugs on mine.

Get the lisle tool.

Search the forum for more input. Lots of people have had this problem and posted their experience.

For example, I vacuumed the plug hole and sprayed a little Kroil in there before using the lisle tool. Must people something similar, it seems.

It's not all that bad. You can do it. It's more annoying than anything else. (or at least that was my experience)
Old 06-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Island Truck
I assume the photo is the part that came out of your truck. If that's correct, then the lisle tool is specifically intended and designed to solve your problem. It's pretty common. I broke two or three plugs on mine.

Get the lisle tool.

Search the forum for more input. Lots of people have had this problem and posted their experience.

For example, I vacuumed the plug hole and sprayed a little Kroil in there before using the lisle tool. Must people something similar, it seems.

It's not all that bad. You can do it. It's more annoying than anything else. (or at least that was my experience)

Yes, the picture above is what I was able to remove out of the engine. Looks like the electrode shield part of the plug is stuck in the engine. Removed all the plugs and broke three of them, 1 i believe on cyl 8 and 2 on the passenger i believe cyl 3 and 4. I have already vaccumed out the plug holes, and took a magnet to the ones that were broken to get the shavings out, now just have to get my hands on a lisle tool. Guess i should have waited to have the tool, I was hoping to get lucky since I warmed up the engine, let them soak in PB blaster and was using an impact wrench turned to its lowest setting. After i broke the drive side one, i switched to hand tools on the passenger side rear one, but it still broke. Here are pics of all the old plugs:

Driver side plugs:

Passenger side plugs:
Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The tool will get the broken piece out. I broke both of the back ones. First think is to use the pusher tool in the kit and push the porcelain down as far as possible. Once that's done I took a piece of 1/2 or so line taped to a shop vac and vacuumed the hole out. Then you insert the aluminum piece in the kit and insert the threaded "tap" and it will come out. The instructions in the kit are pretty decent and its a breeze once you do it. I ended up breaking 5 on mine.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Biggest advice to give, thread the pusher tool ALL THE WAY DOWN. DO NOT SKIMP. Like they said, use a shop vac with the micro kit to vacuum the porcelain chips out. The lisle tool works like a champ.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That is true. Bottom the pusher tool all the way out. One the first one I did, I didn't bottom it out so I had to go back and do it over. The tool does work great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lisle 65600 Tool Question