Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift kit

How hard would it be to put a lift kit on myself
Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by chaseman94
How hard would it be to put a lift kit on myself
What kind of lift? Whats your skill set like for mechanic work? What tools do u have available ? Do you have access to a garage with a hoist?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speeddemon86

What kind of lift? Whats your skill set like for mechanic work? What tools do u have available ? Do you have access to a garage with a hoist?
A 4 inch suspension lift im pretty good with mechanic work i do most my truck work my self i can get my hands on just about and tool i need but i do not have access to a garage
Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by chaseman94

A 4 inch suspension lift im pretty good with mechanic work i do most my truck work my self i can get my hands on just about and tool i need but i do not have access to a garage
I've never put a lift on an 04-08 f150 but I would say it would be a hell of a lot easier on a lift. It's a fair amount of work but if you are confident in your mechanic abilities I see no reason why you should not be able to do this. In a shop setting I'd estimate it's anywheres from 6-8 hours of work and without a hoist you're no doubt looking at longer
Old 06-24-2012, 11:06 AM

Sorry maybe closer to 10 hours in shop setting even so in the driveway might b longer lol
Old 06-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You'll need some decent jack stands, wood, anything to get your truck in the air. With 4 inches, you can work on one end at a time but find a level surface and BE CAREFUL. You don't hvae to get your truck real high but you want to be as comfortable as possible when working which is why a hoist/lift is great. If you are replacing your front shocks, you need to get a little higher to allow the control arms to droop down a little to get those bad boys in there. If your setup isn't stable, the consequences could be costly. I would also have access to another vehicle in case once you have everything torn apart and ready to go, you have a way do go out and get anything you forgot or don't have. Make sure you have some extra dough in case you need to buy those things. The worst issue I've seen is when a fastener breaks or gets cross threaded. Drilling, extracting, and retapping isn't fun. I haven't seen it happen too often since suspension fasteners are typically larger but when it does it adds hours to the process. I always soak everything with tapping fluid before I start. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Lift kit