Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

led headlight problem 2006 f150

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led headlight problem 2006 f150

Installed a set of cree led headlight bulbs 40 watt 6500k on my 2006 f150. everything worked well for 7 months then I had not passenger side headlight high or low beam. Everything else worked fine. Took it to my Ford dealer( aftermarket warranty very low miles on truck) and they found a short and fixed it. On of the sockets in the harness was bad and replaced. I put the original headlight bulbs into the truck(halogen) as I didn't want a hassle with the dealership with the led lights. Picked up the truck with the stock lights and everything worked fine. When i got the truck home and reinstalled the led headlights the passenger side low beam does not work know. Highbeam on passenger side works fine along with everything else. If I put back the halogen bulbs both high and low beam work on passenger side. What am I missing? Shouldn't both the led and halogen both work if the wiring harness short was fixed correctly from the ford dealer if the leds work prior to the short?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 78 Likes on 77 Posts

Maybe the led has an issue in the driver just out of curiosity tho how bright are they when they work? Just curious if I should go led or hid my night vision isn't all that great
Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 252 Likes on 213 Posts

I don't know much about led lights but can you move the drivers side led bulb to the passenger and move the other to the drivers side and see if the problem follows? If it does, then bad led bulb.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shot12
Installed a set of cree led headlight bulbs 40 watt 6500k on my 2006 f150. everything worked well for 7 months then I had not passenger side headlight high or low beam. Everything else worked fine. Took it to my Ford dealer( aftermarket warranty very low miles on truck) and they found a short and fixed it. On of the sockets in the harness was bad and replaced. I put the original headlight bulbs into the truck(halogen) as I didn't want a hassle with the dealership with the led lights. Picked up the truck with the stock lights and everything worked fine. When i got the truck home and reinstalled the led headlights the passenger side low beam does not work know. Highbeam on passenger side works fine along with everything else. If I put back the halogen bulbs both high and low beam work on passenger side. What am I missing? Shouldn't both the led and halogen both work if the wiring harness short was fixed correctly from the ford dealer if the leds work prior to the short? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Look no further! Your solution is here.

Get those led bulbs out of your HALOGEN reflectors and put your HALOGEN bulbs back in permanently. The dealer shouldn't have even warrantied what the problem was because you installed an aftermarket part that caused the issue!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 08silverbullet
Maybe the led has an issue in the driver just out of curiosity tho how bright are they when they work? Just curious if I should go led or hid my night vision isn't all that great
On average an LED bulb will emit 2400 lumens compared to HID which, depending on your color choice, will emit 2800-3500. LEDs are noticeably dimmer and if you're installing them into OEM housings without projectors, will notice immediately the light is scattered much worse than HID.

HID is the way to go but only if you're retrofitting or installing into aftermarket projector housings. Otherwise you'll blind anyone in front of you.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by NamedHerOksana

On average an LED bulb will emit 2400 lumens compared to HID which, depending on your color choice, will emit 2800-3500. LEDs are noticeably dimmer and if you're installing them into OEM housings without projectors, will notice immediately the light is scattered much worse than HID.

HID is the way to go but only if you're retrofitting or installing into aftermarket projector housings. Otherwise you'll blind anyone in front of you.
I have projectors not a retrofit but I have spyders. Yeah no HIDs in reflector housings for me
Old 01-30-2015, 08:53 AM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

LED headlights are a proper and by no means unsafe swap for halogens. LED focuses light to a specific part of the reflector bowl and does a very god job giving a fairly reasonable cutoff line without the draw back of scatter. HID in a stock housing does create scatter becasue the light pattern emmited from the bulb is very much scattered, hence why you need a projector to focus the light pattern to a very clean cutoff. To answer the OP's question, LED hi beams are not great, you might even go as far to say that they are almost pointless. This all depends on the quality of the product you have bought. Also if you are having short out probelms, the driver and the plug are to blame 9 times out of 10. Make sure during any install that you use dielectric grease.
The following users liked this post:
o6S1D9e (12-16-2023)
Old 01-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f83/so-im-...lights-269188/
Here s my LED headlight review.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I don't think the led lights caused the short as it was back in the harness itself. Both led lights work correctly high /low beam if installed in the drivers side. It is the passenger side that only works on high beam not low so I know the lights are fine. I think the dealer didn't fix the short correctly. This is the lights that a were purchased---2PC H13 Cree-MTG2 High Power 6500K LED 3200LM Headlight Dual Beam 40W Projector

I live in a rural area with no streetlights and lots of deer, so the led are a better option for me as they provide much better light then stock. My infinity lights are brighter then the ones in my truck. I spoke to a friend who is a police officer and said the lights are fine and would comply with state laws.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by shot12
Thanks for the replies. I don't think the led lights caused the short as it was back in the harness itself. Both led lights work correctly high /low beam if installed in the drivers side. It is the passenger side that only works on high beam not low so I know the lights are fine. I think the dealer didn't fix the short correctly. This is the lights that a were purchased---2PC H13 Cree-MTG2 High Power 6500K LED 3200LM Headlight Dual Beam 40W Projector

I live in a rural area with no streetlights and lots of deer, so the led are a better option for me as they provide much better light then stock. My infinity lights are brighter then the ones in my truck. I spoke to a friend who is a police officer and said the lights are fine and would comply with state laws.
Could it be the driver or ballasts not sure what they call them on leds

Quick Reply: led headlight problem 2006 f150