Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

knocking/clunking sound when braking

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default knocking/clunking sound when braking

Hi recently my trucks been making a knocking/clunking sound when i apply the brakes.It gets pretty loud just before a dead stop thought it was warpped rotors so i changed rotors and pads and its still the same.Wondering if anyone knows what else could cause that tie rods or ball joints maybe? thanks for any help.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:20 PM

Anyone ? I dont want to replace parts that dont need to be. I tried searching on here but found nothing like this.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Try checking the caliper bolts and make sure they are tight.. Check the bolts on the caliper brackets and the IWE where it meets the knuckle.. Sounds like a loose bolt.. Is the sound only coming from one side?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kieran54
Anyone ? I dont want to replace parts that dont need to be. I tried searching on here but found nothing like this.
My guess would be bearings and/or ball joints (not tie rods, you'd feel that in your steering left or right), check the upper and lower but it's hard to put the same amount of torque on them to move them like your 5,500 lb truck does when brakes are applied.

When I had my 4runner I had this problem and it was my slip joint. Lube businesses will sometimes do your your drive train zerks for free, I know because they did mine for free and only took a few minutes and problem was solved.

Hopefully you work on your own truck yourself, Good luck
Old 02-03-2014, 01:52 PM

Sounds like its coming from both sides i will check all those bolts later today. The truck also hops and shakes when it happens. But the truck drives perfect besides the noise when braking.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by PNW EFFONEFIFTY

My guess would be bearings and/or ball joints, check the upper and lower but it's hard to put the same amount of torque on them to move them like your 5,500 lb truck does when brakes are applied.

When I had my 4runner I had this problem and it was my slip joint. Lube businesses will sometimes do your your drive train zerks for free, I know because they did mine for free and only took a few minutes and problem was solved.

Hopefully you work on your own truck yourself, Good luck
Okay i will check that out to and yes i do all my own truck work thanks for the replys.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kieran54
Sounds like its coming from both sides i will check all those bolts later today. The truck also hops and shakes when it happens. But the truck drives perfect besides the noise when braking.
Sounded like you need a front suspension rebuild.
But first I would check all the control arms.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hongstertruck
Sounded like you need a front suspension rebuild.
But first I would check all the control arms.
If by "suspension" you mean ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, bearings etc then you'd be in the ball park of correct.

However if your actually talking about suspension as in the shock and coil spring then you'd be incorrect.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW EFFONEFIFTY
If by "suspension" you mean ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, bearings etc then you'd be in the ball park of correct.

However if your actually talking about suspension as in the shock and coil spring then you'd be incorrect.
Did you notice he also said his truck hops too?
Most likely his problems are control arms however hopping is unsafe and his shocks are probably shot too.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:46 PM

Im not sure if my truck needs a front suspension rebuild it only has 90,000 km on it but i will be looking for worn out parts tonight or tmrw when i got time. Thanks for all the suggestions hoping to solve this issue by the weekend.

Quick Reply: knocking/clunking sound when braking