Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Kinda disappointed with new magnaflow cats...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Kinda disappointed with new magnaflow cats...

So I had two highflow magnaflow cats (part number 94106) and I'm pretty disappointed. I already had a si/do flowmaster 40 and i just added the two cats in place of the rear two cats and left the front two pre-cats.

why do i not really hear any difference at all? shouldnt it be much deeper and louder?

thanks.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:44 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bambo2888
So I had two highflow magnaflow cats (part number 94106) and I'm pretty disappointed. I already had a si/do flowmaster 40 and i just added the two cats in place of the rear two cats and left the front two pre-cats.

why do i not really hear any difference at all? shouldnt it be much deeper and louder?

thanks.
From what I know, CATS dont really have a whole lot to do with sound,...If you have a flowmaster those are already really loud. If you want any louder you pretty much have to straight pipe it. Those cats will probably help on the performance end but thats about it...If you want to finish it off, throw some headers on it.

Do you notice any performance gains with the cats? Do you have a programer? Are you throwing any codes? How much did you pay for the cats?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its more peice of mind with buying cats. I had high flow cats on my '91 Silverado 1500 with a 1 in 2 out flowmaster and that sounded great. I have a magnaflow muffler on my f1 and when i get on it, it sounds bad ***. Ide do headers before messing with cats.

You shouldn't be dissapointed.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Just cut em off...the rears don't moniter anything and won't throw codes or a check engine light...I've seen multiple people do that with no problems and it will make it louder with a bit more deep tone...high flows don't do much on our trucks especially with them rears
Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Do you have old body style or new? I think the new only have 2 cats which cant be cut off if you have emission tests...Old has 4 and then it would be beneficial...Double check before you go cutting things off.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dplummer87
From what I know, CATS dont really have a whole lot to do with sound,...If you have a flowmaster those are already really loud. If you want any louder you pretty much have to straight pipe it. Those cats will probably help on the performance end but thats about it...If you want to finish it off, throw some headers on it.

Do you notice any performance gains with the cats? Do you have a programer? Are you throwing any codes? How much did you pay for the cats?
no programmer, no codes, and i think i feel slightly better throttle response, if thats possible. i got the cats brand new from a member on the boards for $80 shipped and installed for $150.

Originally Posted by dplummer87
Do you have old body style or new? I think the new only have 2 cats which cant be cut off if you have emission tests...Old has 4 and then it would be beneficial...Double check before you go cutting things off.
i have an 04 new body style, but there is in fact 4 cats (pre cat and cat on each side).

i guess i was expecting more than was possible. im now realizing that if i wanted better sound, i should have just added another flowmaster to make it true duals.

if i get better fuel econ and perf. then i guess i wont be too disappointed, but i realllllyyyy wanted sound (as it was my main motivation)

Quick Reply: Kinda disappointed with new magnaflow cats...