Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Just got a truck! I have questions

Old 01-15-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a truck! I have questions

Hello all. I just became a proud f150 owner and have questions. The truck is a 2004 4.6 supercab XLT with 80,000 miles. The rear rotors are about to be replaced and the shifter for the transmission handle shifts pretty rough so I think that might need to be replaced too. The truck is in great shape other than that. The frame is virtually rust free and the transmission shifts gears great and the engine sounds great. I was just wondering what the cost of fixing the lever for the transmission might be to shift from park to drive etc. I was also curious the expected timeframe I would need to replace spark plugs, the water pump, or anything else? The serpentine belt is also in great shape. If you have any question about anything else on the truck but if you could tell me the work it would most likely need in the future I would appreciate it. The truck had one owner and was driven easily and was taken care of. If I'm supposed to change the oil I use please let me know.

Ps just found out they used high mileage synthetic oil. Can I switch back to regular oil or should I stay with synthetic? What's the mileage between oil changes on synthetic

Last edited by D0lphan72; 01-15-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:01 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 626 Likes on 563 Posts

Default Stay with syn but change often

Use mc filter and change out 3k to 5k . This motor has hydraulically operated cams using dirty engine oil . That carbon plugs up internal screens and small passages . So its not that it loses its lubrication quality it is the dirt its carrying from combustion . The oem oil pump is not very good and your oil pressure gauge is an idiot gauge . it just means you have more than 7 psi .
Mc filter is sold at wally world ,it has a better valve to prevent run back draining .
I rebuilt my front end completely and put in better oil pump . This and plastic chain guides that break , chain tensioners that leak oil and become weak as they run on oil pressure . Lash adjusters depend on oil and they get starved and cause cam rollers to fail . Mine kicked one roller to the side on no 8 intake so I replaced all lash and rollers .
So be very careful, don't use extended oil change . Once it gets dirt build up its going down . Engine flush will break it all loose and jam up everything I tried that just before I shut it down , made it run terribly .Maybe a cleaner used a little at a time over the years might work .
I don't care what color oil you use, combustion dirt in it is still going to jam it up .
Old 01-16-2017, 05:07 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 626 Likes on 563 Posts

Default Sorry I have the 5.4 l 3v engine

Yours doesn't have near the problems we have . I haven't worked on a 4.6. So others that have will help you . I don't even know anyone with a 4.6. I hear they are a good engine .

Search this Thread