Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

IWE question - found broken line, wondering about 4x4

Old 10-15-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IWE question - found broken line, wondering about 4x4

I attempted to find this by searching, but couldn't find this specific question.

I have been driving with the grinding noise when I try to engage the 4x4 for about two months. I have been planning on fixing this when I had a chance, and figured it would be ok as long as I kept it in 2wd.

I now realize that I did not understand how the vacuum line system worked, and am wondering what to do. I wrongly thought that the vacuum line was to engage the 4x4, not to engage the 4x2. I realize that I messed up, and am wondering how bad.

The lines have completely broken in two places, so there has been no vacuum at all to the left front tire for I don't know how long.

Does this mean the truck has been running in 4 week drive for 2+ months?

What would be the first thing that I do? I will order and replace the vacuum lines, but is there a larger issue that I have caused by not fixing this sooner?

Thank you for any advice.

Andrew
Old 10-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Your truck in not in 4WD .. your IWE's are just engaged. Without proper vacuum applied at the wheel ends the hubs will stay engaged. Not sure where the line is broken but, it will need to be replaced and I would just do both sides. If there was not a partial engagement for 2 months .. i.e. Constantly grinding .. then the IWE's should be fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IWE question - found broken line, wondering about 4x4