Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

IWE issue

Old 05-24-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IWE issue

I recently began developing a noise in front end and changed numerous parts, including IWE actuators. I changed the actuators several months apart. Upon changing the drivers side the noise went away...temporarily. It seems to be more intense now and I can feel the actuator trying to engage. Sometimes it sounds like a piece of cheap metal falling off the front end and hitting the pavement. I'm looking at changing both actuators at the same time instead of days, weeks, or months apart. Ideas...is changing actuators the solution?
Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

It depends... I had a similar situation. What happened was my drivers side was replaced due to the horrible grinding noise. As I'd drive, I'd notice under load (less vacuum available), the drivers side (which was replaced) would start to engage and make noise. What actually happened was my passenger side had completely failed so when there was enough vacuum, it was enough to keep the drivers side disengaged. Once I hit a hill, or put it under load, the vacuum would drop enough to the drivers side and start engaging.

The best bet is grab a vacuum gauge and check your passenger side too. I literally couldn't pull any vacuum. Either that or start the truck up, jack up the passenger side, have it in 4x2 mode, then see if the shaft turns with the wheel. If it does, the passenger IWE is definitely toast.

Now, in your case, you've changed both. I'd spend the $$$ and buy a vacuum pump and test them both independently. Then test them right at the IWE solenoid. I changed mine months apart and ran the truck for years with no issues. Your best bet is, test the system.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Check the vacuum on both IWEs and all the involved vacuum lines. It sounds to me like you might have a vacuum leak somewhere or a bad check valve. If the IWEs have begun to grind then they may need replaced but since you have already done that I think your problem might be a vacuum leak somewhere in the lines. You can also replace the vacuum solenoid on the firewall behind the battery. The solenoid should run you about $25 at any auto parts store and takes about 10 minutes and one tool to change.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

^^^This^^^
Old 05-25-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parts replaced

Below are the parts I've replaced to date.

Both IWE actuators
Right side half shaft
Solenoid
All vacuum lines and check valves

I recently read where replacing one actuator at a time can cause the other side to malfunction. I'll try the vacuum test and see what happens. Thanks for responses.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

I also noticed your username is ecoboost ford. What year model are we talking about here? This is the 04-08 section. I don't know if there are any differences in the newer IWE systems but if were talking about a newer truck I will gladly move this to the appropriate section and you might get some different help if there are in fact differences in the newer models?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IWE issue