Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Issues with new k&n cold air intake.. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Issues with new k&n cold air intake.. Help?

SO I JUST INSTALLED THE K&N AIR INTAKE ON MY 2006 f150 fx4 supercrew and got everything done in a timely manner. took about an hour in all.
then i took it out for a spin and i definitely felt the boost when i gave it some gas. it sure does add some horsepower.
2 THINGS I NOTICED:
A WHISTLING NOISE THAT WASNT THERE BEFORE, COULD THAT BE THE ELBOW COMING OFF THE MANIFOLD TO THE THROTTLE BODY, ACTING AS A SPACER AND CAUSING NOISE. IT SEEMS TO WHITLE ALL THE TIME, ESPECIALLY NOTICEABLE WHEN I AM CRUISING

WHEN I STOMP ON THE GAS, THE ENGINE SEEMS HESITANT AND SOUNDS LIKE IT JUST CANT GET THE AIR OUT FAST ENOUGH MAKING IT SOUND LIKE ITS SLIGHTLY BACKFIRING OR SOMETHING IN THE EXHAUST... MY EXHAUST IS STILL OEM FOR NOW, BUT AM LOOKING INTO GETTING A BORLA OR MAGNAFLOW... IS MY SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM TO GET A LESS RESTRICTIVE EXHAUST SETUP. WHICH IN TIME, PLAN TO DO....

CAN ANYONE HELP OR HAVE ANY IDEAS OR THE SAME ISSUES????
Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find the thread about how intakes dont work well with these trucks
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 PM

ill have to find that thread unless someone copys and pastes it here, i also noticed, right after i first took my truck out after it was installed, my check engine light came on... i had it read and it was cylinder 5 misfire ... what the heck....
i figured this cold air intake would be less restricive. which it is that oem intake is super restrictive. and lots of junk plastic!!!
i also know that if you let more air in, you have to let more air out, so i guess a less restrictive exhaust would be good too. idk
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

This thread should explain:

https://www.f150forum.com/f7/after-k...-second-87425/
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Troyer Performance and buy a SCT X3 w/custom tunes. Talk to them about whats going on with your truck and what you should do about the exhaust.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:29 AM

i usually end that way k&N Cold air intake too but that's also due to lack of time most of the time

Last edited by powdajohn; 04-22-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:06 PM

Im not sure which engine you have but I have a 4.6 in my 08 and I never have had any problems with mine. The whistling noise you hear is the air being forced into the intake. I even get that noise when im coasting.
An exhaust would work wonders for you. And a tuner will really boost the use of the intake and exhaust. Those three mods are meant to work together.
They key to engine power is more air in and more air out. It could be "burping" at WOT because there is air being forced in faster then it is being forced out. Also...remember that you MUST balance that amount of air with the correct amount of fuel.

Quick Reply: Issues with new k&n cold air intake.. Help?