Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

issues after getting a jump start

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default issues after getting a jump start

This morning I got out to my truck and had turned key on to roll up windows last night and forgot to shut it off...

Truck is 2004 scab lariat with 129k miles no mods

Anyways I had the neighbor give me a jump and as soon as it started up the low fuel dings and it tells me in the on dash display I have 5 miles to empty. I'm positive I had a little more than a quarter tank last night when I parked it. ( and never had low fuel come on last night) At lunch I went and put ten gallons in and it jumped to 3/4 tank and the onboard told me 327 miles until empty, usually on a full tank it says 317 miles until empty. Also my outdoor temperature usually reads a little low for a while right after startup but today it was way high. It was at 99 when I started it and it was only about 70 out at the time.

I have 2 theories in my head but don't know if anyone has dealt with this. I'm thinking it either needs recalibrated but not sure what would need calibrated, like the jump messed something up. Or, someone siphoned my gas last night which seems a little far fetched to me but could have happened.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Or you passed out behind the wheel and ran it out of gas.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Disconnect the battery for a while (maybe an hour or so) and likely all will be well again.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by powerranger262
Or you passed out behind the wheel and ran it out of gas.
I woke up in bed. Just think its odd that ten gallons gave me 3/4 thank and is saing more miles to empty than full does
Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

If you leave the key in the "on" position, I'm pretty sure the fuel pump starts up. I always hear a slight hum when I turn my key to "on" without starting. Maybe you cooked the fuel pump/sending unit?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by corey_lax
If you leave the key in the "on" position, I'm pretty sure the fuel pump starts up. I always hear a slight hum when I turn my key to "on" without starting. Maybe you cooked the fuel pump/sending unit?
still starts and runs fine. Usually the hum is just the pump priming, I dont believe it stays on constant.

I unhooked negative cable for 15-20 minutes earlier and still did it. I now have both cables unhooked and going to see if it helps.

jason
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've run my battery dead a couple of times, not proud of it.
But I get the same issues everytime, the computer has to relearn, usually I gotta fill up the tank to correct the fuel gauge then the computer takes care of the rest over time.
The following users liked this post:
therealjt (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ellis4pa
I've run my battery dead a couple of times, not proud of it.
But I get the same issues everytime, the computer has to relearn, usually I gotta fill up the tank to correct the fuel gauge then the computer takes care of the rest over time.
thats what I was thinking, thank you. we'll see if she gets better in a few days
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM

Received 150 Likes on 117 Posts

Yep, give the computer some time to relearn the system. Also wouldn't hurt to have your battery and charging system checked at a parts store.When my battery starting going,my truck went on the fritz.

Quick Reply: issues after getting a jump start