Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Intermittent Bogging

Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Intermittent Bogging

I seem to have developed this bog that happened twice so far. Here are the 2 scenarios..

1: Last Thursday afternoon on my way home. Doing 65 mph, the car in front of me slowed to make a left turn. I slowed to about 40. The car turned and I got on the gas. The truck started bogging. I was surprised.
2: Last Friday 12:00 pm on my way home from work. Doing 70 on the highway, came up to a small car doing about 40 there. I slowed down and waited for oncoming traffic to clear. When I gave it gas, it started to bog once again.

Today I will see if it does it again. Saturday I changed the fuel filter (30,000 miles on the old one), and cleaned the MAF sensor. I also bought a bottle of injector cleaner which will go in today. The place I get gas from has a truck there almost every other day. So it doesn’t sit in their tanks that long. I never get gas if the truck is, or has just been there.

I have the 2007 5.4 gas truck with 203k miles on it. About 90%, if not more, are all highway miles. I travel about 120 miles a day for work. The plugs are at 40k miles, the FPDM was changed out last summer, the MAF and TB was cleaned last year as well. Fresh air filter is on. No codes are showing.
Would anyone have any ideas as to why it would do this so seldom? I dread having to take it to the dealer to find the problem.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:14 PM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Gotta ask this.. Any sudden change in gas mileage??

My Escalade was doing the same thin but this **** of **** would do it at the wrong times.. Red lights... Passing.. Turning into traffic.. Ect.. No codes.. Ran royal purple and sea foam through it and nothing..

Finally it threw codes for O2 sensors... Bank 1 and 2...
Old 06-23-2014, 12:19 PM

If nothing else, it seems like the week before this, I was getting a little better gas mileage. about $5-$7 less at fill ups.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had a bogging issue with my truck a month ago. My truck would bog the majority of the time I tried to accelerate. It ended up being the intake manifold runner control. The shop that replaced said there was a stored code in the PCM so I wasn't getting a check engine light. Since I had it replaced the truck accelerates normal. Hope this can help you.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:00 PM

We plugged the computer in Thursday, there were no codes showing. My brother in law works at the Dodge dealer in town. But they are limited to what they can do with Fords.
On another (maybe important) note, after the code scan we drove it down the road and wasn't able to get it to bog again. It had sat for about 2 hours until he showed up with the scanner.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check out this thread. May help you out!

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/bog-dow...solved-166431/
Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Ford's claim that their plugs on this engine will go 100k is total BS. At 75k there was barely any electrode left on my plugs. I would start with the basics and pull one easy to get to plug and take a look at the electrode condition and spark plug color to determine if it's firing properly. Bogging down is a classic spark plug symptom. One other thing to test is your TPS because it can affect your shifting if it's out of spec.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM

henduford,
I do remember that post when it started and went ahead last year to replace the seal around the intake.

primalurges,
The TPS was one thing my Brother in law mentioned. I will have to look into this.

Thanks for the input. I never will go with the 100k on a plug change. That's just stupid. Even if they are highway miles. I was hoping to get a little more than 40k out of them since the next change I want to go ahead and replace the coils also.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default bogging

Have your cat. converters checked. They have a finite life and cause all manner of problems that even the best mechanics can't uncover. I'm the voice of experience; '97 Scab, 4.6, 234000 miles.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:19 PM

Update:
After having a diagnostic done this morning, my problem is the #8 plug and coil dumping. This is good news since I already have 8 new plugs to go in this weekend. I also ordered 2 new coils from the parts store here. I will put these 2 on during the plug change while the whole top end is off. They will go on #4 and #8. The other 6 I will order from rockauto for half the price and I should be able to get to them easily.
Thanks again for all the input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent Bogging