Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Interesting Rattling noise with my 2007 Ford F150

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Rattling noise with my 2007 Ford F150

So I drive a 2007 Ford F150 Lariat with the lovely 5.4. Only has 79k on it. Has an edge tuner and throttle body spacer. After market exhaust with a new set of exhaust manifolds. Just bought it about 3 weeks ago. Slowly developing a scary sounding problem.

1. Test Drive: no problems. no noises. no rattle. actually quite a bit quieter running than any of the other 5.4's that I drove. Shifts perfect. Bought it with no regrets.

2. A week or so later heard a chain-like rattle when going through a drive-through off the drive-through wall. It is more of a ticking at idle but when I give it a little gas and coast to a stop it sounds like chains rattling around in a metal bucket.

3. At home I could only get it to do it loud enough to hear in the cab by going in reverse a little and coasting to a stop. Would occasionally make the chain noise when accelerating after that.

I will add here that NO SOUNDS can be heard when driving normally. Nothing on the highway and no slipping or chugging or anything. Only seems to be a problem at slower speeds.

4. A week later is when it got scary enough to post on this site. I backed into a parking spot at the store and it started sounding like chains in the bucket again but so loud that everyone in the parking lot stopped what they were doing and looked at me! Like I thought the thing was gonna blow up. Couldn't pinpoint where the sound was coming from because it was so loud. The truck sounded like it was stalling out. I thought it was transmission related so I put it in neutral. No change at all. Put it in park. No Change. Had to shut off the truck to get it to stop.... started up the truck again about 10 seconds later and it runs smooth as butter. Drove home just fine.

So basically something about going putting load on the truck (but only slightly) that trips that noise. If you ask me it sounds like the timing chains are suddenly becoming loose and rattling like crazy- like the tensioners are seizing up in the loose position. BUT I AM NOT A MECHANIC so please don't let this sway your advise. I would think that bad tensioners would be an all the time thing... The master tech I had look at it quick says it sounds like its transmission related because at idle it only makes the lighter chain noise when in drive or reverse (mind you this was before the horrible sound in the store parking lot. he didn't hear that!). But he would need to dig into it much more than listening in the parking lot. Turning to you folks hoping you have some direction.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Timing chain tensioners.
The following users liked this post:
troypeterson1992 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by SCORGE
Timing chain tensioners.
^this...time for a full timing job..ONLY USE FORD PARTS..replace everything. phasers, chains, guides, tensioners
Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM
SSDD

For ****s and giggles, check for any loose heat shields
Old 12-11-2018, 04:30 PM

Received 295 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by SCORGE
For ****s and giggles, check for any loose heat shields
This exact thing recently happened on my buddies 05’. It would sound like it was chewing on rocks when put into reverse and occasionally drive.....reached under and grabbed an exhaust shield only for it to stop.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! You guys are quick! That is what I was worried you all would say. I don't think it would be the heat shields since the truck sounded and felt like it was gonna blow up! haha

So timing parts.... I can only find this one complete kit online -
http://www.freedomracing.com/5-4l-3v...SABEgLJB_D_BwE

I have a few questions:
1. is this the only kit available that includes everything?? Would it even be worth my time to piece together all the parts or will it be about this much in the end?
2. I am one to get the best parts and get things done while I'm in there so replacing the oil pump with the "fixed" one just makes sense to me. This one is the Ford Performance Parts version of the high flow pump. Is this just as good as the Melling one?
3. I also saw some people use the Cloyes kit and say it is just as good as OEM. Is this true?? Is the OEM kit $400 better? I plan on keeping the truck so I do care about quality.
4. Finally, I heard something about aftermarket guides that are metal? it makes sense to not replace the plastic ones that break with plastic ones... but where do I find these? Do they come in a complete kit?? Also, what about the metal tensioners? Yah or nah? Heard good and bad about having them (compatibility, too much tension with the new pump, etc).

Thank you again everyone! If anyone disagrees with the tensioner answer don't be afraid to speak up! But I figured that is what it was.... YOU GUYS ROCK
Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM
SSDD

On the timing/VCT parts, buy FORD only.
The pump, either melling or Ford.
The guides aren't aftermarket, they're from the previous generation of trucks. That's entirely up to you. As long as the VCT system is working properly and you have good oil pressure, plastic guides should be fine
Might be worth doing your lifters/rollers
Old 12-12-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Time to pull that front cover off; on start-up for about 10k miles, I noticed a VERY faint rattling for 2 seconds. Pulled the cover off to find the passenger side guide come out in pieces, no idea how long it was like that, but the chain was wearing into the cover. I'm amazed it ran so great, with such a lack of noise. Had to cut the PS pump off the cover to remove, and discovered the cover itself had a slight crack at the oil seal, so that got replaced as well. I did phasers, oil pump, chains, tensioners, guides, followers, lash adjusters, front cover, PS pump, new bolts, and the hard PS lines. For mostly Ford parts (and the acquisition of a few specialty tools), I'm into it for $2232.

Don't let it wait too long... I'd park it until fixed.

Last edited by dukedkt442; 12-12-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by troypeterson1992
Wow! You guys are quick! That is what I was worried you all would say. I don't think it would be the heat shields since the truck sounded and felt like it was gonna blow up! haha

So timing parts.... I can only find this one complete kit online -
http://www.freedomracing.com/5-4l-3v...SABEgLJB_D_BwE

I have a few questions:
1. is this the only kit available that includes everything?? Would it even be worth my time to piece together all the parts or will it be about this much in the end?
2. I am one to get the best parts and get things done while I'm in there so replacing the oil pump with the "fixed" one just makes sense to me. This one is the Ford Performance Parts version of the high flow pump. Is this just as good as the Melling one?
3. I also saw some people use the Cloyes kit and say it is just as good as OEM. Is this true?? Is the OEM kit $400 better? I plan on keeping the truck so I do care about quality.
4. Finally, I heard something about aftermarket guides that are metal? it makes sense to not replace the plastic ones that break with plastic ones... but where do I find these? Do they come in a complete kit?? Also, what about the metal tensioners? Yah or nah? Heard good and bad about having them (compatibility, too much tension with the new pump, etc).

Thank you again everyone! If anyone disagrees with the tensioner answer don't be afraid to speak up! But I figured that is what it was.... YOU GUYS ROCK
i agree with the timing chain issue, the price of that kit doesn't surprise me. installing all that is very labor intensive, so it would be expensive to have a machanic put it all in. if you know how to do it that will save you a lot of money
Old 12-12-2018, 10:08 AM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

Default Sounds to me like YOU are capable of doint it yourself.

Originally Posted by troypeterson1992

As a seasoned member of the 5.4L Timing Replacement club, I would say You have gotten some very good guidance here. Your described symptoms (ALSO) sound to me like broken guide debris is getting sucked up into Oil Pump pickup screen - degrading oil pressure needed at the tensioner to keep chain away from cover and keep phasers at base position. And I believe the 'tick' you describe is from lash adjuster OR slack in a roller-follower's roller bearings.

You could remove the oil pan (which has to be done anyway) and verify that. [Easy if 2wd, Not TOO BAD if 4wd]. If guide parts are in the pan - it's absolutely TIME.

Having said that, and recognizing that 'opinions' are like one certain human anatomy part - 'everybody has one'... IMHO, I think the linked kit isn't configured perfectly - an probably substitutions are not available. I would prefer to have 'Metal ratcheting tensioners instead of plastic ones, AND new lifters / roller-followers instea of oil pump pickup screen and crank tone ring. Pickup Screen & Tone Ring can be cleaned / reused without ill effect.

As for metal "GUIDES", they don't exist. To be clear on terminology there ARE metal "Tensioner Arms". They are sorta costly, and not available (TMK) in a kit. Even though I am a very satisfied user of them, I cannot confirm (YET) any long term benefit. The Metal (ratching) tensioners however I do believe is a very useful change for the average driver. (The problems and reason Ford moved away from them is: Police departments, heavy Ford fleet users, who ALSO freequently employ HIGH RPM use reported that tensioners constantly being ratcheted up to maximum tension (and 'latching') shortened the life of front cam bearing). I will _occassionally_ flat out stand on mine and max RPMs out in every gear (even at my young 72 yrs of age), but the jury is still out 30,000 miles after my timing job. I am very satisfied.

Quick Reply: Interesting Rattling noise with my 2007 Ford F150