Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Installed two 9" LED Floods

Old 03-10-2015, 09:02 AM
Captain Stringer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thumbs up Installed two 9" LED Floods

Before anyone asks, no I do not use these on the road with traffic - entirely too bright for other drivers on the road. Originally the idea was to replace my factory fog lights with these however they put off too much light to be used in traffic. With that being said, they are great for back roads and spotting deer lol.

First I removed the entire fog light housings from my truck. I discarded the fog light assembly (mine were half melted, full of mud). I took the fog light bracket and drilled one hole for the bolt to fit through. I then discovered that the bolts provided were not long enough to go past the plastic ribbing on the bottom of the bracket. Since it was 10:00 at night and I did not have any other bolts on hand, I simply took a hack saw to the bottom ribs that were obstructing the bolt. From there I tightened the light down to the bracket and reinstalled to my truck. Since the original idea was to make these my fog lights, I simply spliced the wires to the fog light wiring harness so they come on when I pull the headlight switch out to activate the fogs. After a little adjusting to the angle of the lights, I think they turned out pretty good. They do put off a ton of light and I know, these are the wrong kind of pictures to show that. Hopefully I can get one and upload it here.

Last edited by stringer; 03-10-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to do led pods in the same style fog lights. What oods did you go with?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Captain Stringer

Just realized I made a typo in the title. They are 7" not 9" like it says.

Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391027317691?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-10-2015, 01:29 PM

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

It looks like you have the flood beam and not the spot beam. Wonder if the spot beam would make good fog lights?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:33 PM
Captain Stringer

Originally Posted by jshillin
It looks like you have the flood beam and not the spot beam. Wonder if the spot beam would make good fog lights?
That exact thought crossed my mind when I was testing the lights out. You are probably correct as the flood beam scatters the light too much for oncoming traffic - even though they are actually turned down to the road. O well, I'll run them for a while and maybe eventually I will swap them out for spots instead. Especially since I only paid $50 for both.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I wish I got slightly longer ones to fill the housings a little more. Maybe I will purchase 9" Spots and move my existing 7" Floods to the rear for added reverse lighting.

Last edited by stringer; 03-10-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stringer
That exact thought crossed my mind when I was testing the lights out. You are probably correct as the flood beam scatters the light too much for oncoming traffic - even though they are actually turned down to the road. O well, I'll run them for a while and maybe eventually I will swap them out for spots instead. Especially since I only paid $50 for both.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I wish I got slightly longer ones to fill the housings a little more. Maybe I will purchase 9" Spots and move my existing 7" Floods to the rear for added reverse lighting.
Yes, that's exactly what I'd do. They would make perfect reverse lights. I have Rigid's as reverse lights and having bright LED's behind you makes a world of different with these trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed two 9" LED Floods