Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Installed LED into my housings, help aiming

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:05 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 338 Likes on 252 Posts
Default Installed LED into my housings, help aiming

I bought and installed 4x4truckled's into my 2006 F150 housings. Color temp looks great, cutoff is OK but it's a bit spotty as far as even coverage(as you can see on the low beams, the light pattern is skewed to the right it kind of steps up). I guess that is expected running LED's in stock halogen housings. I had to re-aim the headlights, but it's tough since I cant see a "hotspot" like on the halogens. Here are shots from 25' away, and with highs/lows and also blocking one light. The blue tape is where I want my cutoff. If I aim the light so ALL of it is below the cutoff, the lights are pretty much aimed into the ground with most of the high intensity light much lower than the cutoff(by like 2 feet probably). If I aim them higher, then I get some above the cutoff(like in my pics). This is where I have them now that look the best driving, but there has to be some glare to other driver's I'm assuming.

Is this how it's supposed to be?

BOTH LIGHTS, LOW BEAMS

BOTH LIGHTS, HIGH BEAMS

PASS SIDE ONLY, LOW BEAM

PASS SIDE ONLY, HIGH BEAM

DRIVER SIDE ONLY, LOW BEAM

DRIVER SIDE ONLY, HIGH BEAM
Old 05-08-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 3,042 Likes on 1,680 Posts

I have the same LEDs and mine do not look like that. Try turning the led 180°.

Here's how mine look.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...eadlights.html
Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,597 Likes on 6,203 Posts

The silver shield should be at the bottom of the diode (led).
Old 05-09-2017, 06:58 AM
TOTM 8/2019

I'm 95% sure the silver shield is on the bottom of the diode just like in 2008XL pictures.

I will check again today.

As far as the adjustment, I think all I can do is rotate the light inside the housing not actually adjust that cutoff shield?

I mean the shield has to be on the right way because there is a "cutoff" on the top, it's just s little sloppy.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:59 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Originally Posted by 2008__XL

Here's how mine look.

That's the thread that made me get the lights. Yours do look better in your pictures.

I'm using OEM Harley Davidson headlight housings that are less than 2 years old. When I had the halogens in the cutoff was much better.............. I just want the to get these LED lights "good enough".

I'll take a picture of the LED mounted into the housing if I can get it, just to eliminate the mounting as the issue.............

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 05-09-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Looks like a few things

1) Try rotating the bulbs (there is a set screw that allows you to rotate the collar)
2) Your passenger side isn't the same height as your drivers side... you need to align your headlights as well
Old 05-09-2017, 10:48 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
Looks like a few things

1) Try rotating the bulbs (there is a set screw that allows you to rotate the collar)
2) Your passenger side isn't the same height as your drivers side... you need to align your headlights as well

Thanks I'll give it a shot, probably get to it later tonight. It sucks that you need to take out the whole housing to change a bulb. If I have time I'll drop in the Sylvania zXe that was in there for comparison (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...2-P#fragment-2). I'll just do the driver side for now and keep the passenger covered up.

It looks like the rotation adjustment is discrete steps, so I hope I can dial it in better without overrotating.

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 05-09-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 3,042 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Originally Posted by ReaperHWK
Thanks I'll give it a shot, probably get to it later tonight. It sucks that you need to take out the whole housing to change a bulb. If I have time I'll drop in the Sylvania zXe that was in there for comparison (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...2-P#fragment-2). I'll just do the driver side for now and keep the passenger covered up.

It looks like the rotation adjustment is discrete steps, so I hope I can dial it in better without overrotating.
Even a slight rotation may help. It looks like your beams are crooked. As long as the shield is on the bottom, it's correct.

I too compared to the sylvaina zxe in my review. The led was brighter in my tests.

My headlamps are standard oem.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:08 PM
TOTM 8/2019

I was dicking around with these things for like 2 hours today, I finally got them to work right.

First, I was putting them in the right way, here is a pictures of the way I was putting them in:

So I figured out that they needed to be rotated, by like 1 degree. The adjustment works for every 10 degrees or so, that doesn't help me. So yes, now I have to modify ****. I didn't expect to have to modify a set of $140 lights, but **** me bend me over that's my luck. I had to elongate the adjustment hole and when I got it JUST right I had to put some epoxy on the back of the LED light assembly to hold the collar in the adjusted position to the LED housing itself.

After all this, my output looks like this:

LOW BEAM

HIGH BEAM

Don't know if there are some quality control issues here but yes they work, but they are misaligned in the housing by about 1-2 degrees and you can't adjust them within that small increment(If these things don't go through any good QA process I can see some being off by a degree or two). It's not like I have aftermarket crap lenses I bought a set of $400 OEM harley davidson headlights. It would be GREAT if these lights had a dynamically adjustable collar that you could lock in any position, that would have solved my problem. Other than this adjustment issue these lights work great.

I give these things 3/5 stars, 5/5 if they would just drop in and work. If they had a truly adjustable collar they would be 5/5 no doubt.

Do I regret my purchase? NO
Do these just drop in and work? NO (I needed to do this small adjustment AND do the bambi mod because these lights don't have load resistors and my high beams were stuck on)

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 05-09-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:53 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Originally Posted by 2008__XL

Here's how mine look.

Also looks like your LED's came in a different box than mine, and is a different part number. I think the one's I have are slightly different, maybe 4x4truckLED's is getting them from another source now.......
Yours also say 40/80W, mine say 36W.

Here is my box:

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 05-09-2017 at 11:58 PM.