Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Install homelink into your visor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Install homelink into your visor

I came across this post in another forum (FTE) from member "05LariatPSD". He did a great write up, and rather than post links to other forums (not really appretiated...), I figured I'd give the poster his credit due, and just copy his proceedure here with his pictures. I did it to my 05 STX. All you have to do is buy a "donor" visor with the HomeLink. Any model can be used: I bought a visor from an '06 Caddy for $30.00, removed the Homelink and tossed the visor when done. The Homelink module is the same for Dodge, GM, and Ford, so just search Ebay for one cheap. Doesn't have to be from a Ford.

Name:  visor_cloth_remove.jpg
Views: 5736
Size:  50.0 KB

This picture shows how to use a simple butter knife to carefully seperate and remove the cloth cover. You don't have to remove all the cloth; just about half of the upper corner to gain access to the part in the hard plastic that will be removed to snap the Homelink module into.

Name:  visor_homelink.jpg
Views: 6177
Size:  50.4 KB

This picture shows the Homelink module from the "donor" visor.

Name:  visor_link_installed_plastic.jpg
Views: 5668
Size:  51.3 KB

Use a sharp knife or exacto blade to remove the plastic "square" the Homelite module snaps into. This picture shows the Homelink module installed in plastic. If your existing visor had a power mirror, then you can wire the "+" and "-" to it's terminals. If not, then add lengths of wire to feed out of the wire so you can run the wiring through the headliner (I drilled a small hole to run the wiring through the plastic part of the visor that attaches it to the headliner), then down the left plastic trim piece (along windshield), then to a constant power source, such as the cigarette lighter.

Name:  visor_cloth_install.jpg
Views: 5525
Size:  26.9 KB
Use an old credit card (as to not ruin it's code on the strip!) or simular, and push the cloth back into the seam.

Name:  visor_done.jpg
Views: 5593
Size:  46.0 KB

Done!

Last picture shows a slit that's cut into the cloth visor to snap the button/outside cover. Use your fingers to "feel" the location of the module to make the slit.

Now go to HOMELINK's web site to download free instructions on how to program it to your garage door opener.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-02-2011 at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (08-25-2014)
Old 09-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i like it!! question tho..... is there a lump where the black box sits? or do you open up your visor and carve out a place for it? in theory you could do this to any vehicle right, not just our f150s?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
i like it!! question tho..... is there a lump where the black box sits? or do you open up your visor and carve out a place for it? in theory you could do this to any vehicle right, not just our f150s?
The great thing about this is that everyone of our drivers side visor has a location for the Homelink. You can actually feel it if you slide your fingers across the cloth in the general location in the pictures I posted. All we need to do is remove the cloth in the upper right, and you'll see the square plastic that needs to be cut out (it's easy to remove this plug).

There will be no bump, as the cloth is padded, and when you remove the "plug" from the plastic within the visor, the module snaps in.

Here's another picture of this "plug" that you'll need to remove once the cloth is pulled back.

Name:  visor_plastic.jpg
Views: 5447
Size:  69.4 KB

In this picture, the entire cloth was removed, but it's not nessesary. Just pull back enough to cut out the plug and do the wiring (either to a lighted mirror (if equipped), or extend the wiring out of the visor.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 09-02-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

oh, ok, thanks for clarifying
Old 10-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

did you have to glue the cloth back on?

just ordered the homelink module for 30 shipped.

Last edited by Tejasandre; 10-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I added a homelink, but put it in center overhead console, instead of the visor.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by al****
I added a homelink, but put it in center overhead console, instead of the visor.
got a picture?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tejasandre
got a picture?
I followed this guys write up. It is easy to just solder the power and ground wires to the open traces by the light assembly:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...e-up-pics.html
Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Originally Posted by Tejasandre
did you have to glue the cloth back on?

just ordered the homelink module for 30 shipped.
No, when you push the cloth back into the visor, you'll notice the teeth that grab and hold the cloth. In my original post, I mentioned using an old credit card or plastic type applicator to push the cloth back into place.
The following users liked this post:
Mrocha85 (09-01-2012)
Old 10-09-2011, 03:32 AM
old member new account

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like this, looks factory i seen some of this on ebay
do i ground both black wires and power to both white wire ?

thank you

Quick Reply: Install homelink into your visor