Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ideas for naturally aspirated 5.4 3v buildup

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for naturally aspirated 5.4 3v buildup

I recently bought a 2007 fx2 sport. It's got a 5.4 3v engine. I've got a php tuned gryphon and cat back exhaust mostly for sound quality.

Last weekend I put in a new keyword deck, 2 10 inch subs under my back seats in a custom box and a 1000 watt amp.

Now I'm ready to do some performance mods. I've decided I might not go the whipple route because of the price.

I'm going to do 4.56 gears next week. After that what naturally aspirated mods would be best for getting the most out of this motor?

I like the idea of going n/a because I can have my mechanic buddy just do a couple things at a time as I save up the money.

Aside from long tube headers and maybe a way better exhaust what else could I do? Maybe port and polish? cams? Suggestions plz.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

With proper tuning you can get 30hp with cams. The issue is the 30hp is going to be at the top of the power band (above 4500rpms). Long tube headers and good exhaust system will gain a little but not much. The stock manifolds flow pretty well. Port and polish is an expensive under taking which won't net any real gains without massive cams or forced induction. And here again the gains are going to be up top and even above how fast you can turn the stock motor.

Lots of money for not much usable power.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Blown Ford
With proper tuning you can get 30hp with cams. The issue is the 30hp is going to be at the top of the power band (above 4500rpms). Long tube headers and good exhaust system will gain a little but not much. The stock manifolds flow pretty well. Port and polish is an expensive under taking which won't net any real gains without massive cams or forced induction. And here again the gains are going to be up top and even above how fast you can turn the stock motor.

Lots of money for not much usable power.

So you're saying there are no engine mods that would net significant power other than sc??? Lol.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:34 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel White
So you're saying there are no engine mods that would net significant power other than sc??? Lol.
No not what I said. Re-read my post.

The stock rods can't handle more then 6000rpms. Neither can the stock torque converter. So unless you can afford to change those that's your limit. Now go cam shopping. Look at where the power band is. Generally just a step up from stock cam will give you power from idle to redline with significant gains from 4500rpms up. How often are you above 4500rpms? Gains 20-30hp but look where you have to be to feel it. Now look at the cost. $700 for cams + $300 for a custom tune and thats if you select cams not requiring a spring upgrade. Don't forget the install cost.

Port and polish. Great upgrade. But expensive. Stock heads flow extremely well so here again you won't feel the gains unless your at an rpm where air demand is so high the stock heads are a restriction. How well do the stock heads flow? Port and polish jobs on the 3V motors with blowers making 600rwhp will pick up 20-30hp and thats with a blower cramming in double the air flow of a stock motor. What kind of gains do you think you'll see on a naturally aspirated motor? Not much. You'll need a massive cam and high rpms to benefit from this mod. Or a massive cam, high rpms, and a blower.

With all of that said assuming you actually did it you would need an intake manifold matched to the port/polish job on the heads or else you would have great flowing heads and an intake that can't keep up. Priced an intake for this?? Try north of $2000.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:14 AM

So to clarify, not going the supercharger route is not JUST about money for me, I kind of want to have a N/A motor more than SC. I may do a whipple in a year or two.

As far as your suggestions, I have been thinking about camming it since I got it and that may be something I do in the next couple months, if nothing else, just for the sound.

You mentioned a torque converter. I'm not farmiliar with those, but since I got the F150 i've heard alot of "stall" and "torque converter" talk.

Are there any gains to be had by changing out the torque converter? What does that cost? A couple grand?

Quick Reply: Ideas for naturally aspirated 5.4 3v buildup