Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

I Really Need A TPMS Wiring Diagram if Anyone Has Access to One

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default I Really Need A TPMS Wiring Diagram if Anyone Has Access to One

I swapped in a 2007 Mark LT Custer into my XLT and I have to clear out the TPMS warning everytime I start the car. It isnt a super big deal but just kinda annoying. I bought a pretty detailed electronic service manual for the Mark LT off ebay and have gone through every wiring diagram in it and see no mention of the TPMS.

Besides the Sensors in the tires I am trying to figure out if there is an antenna or something that picks up those sensors. If this pickup is hardwired into the cluster motherboard or something that would be awesome cause then I could just buy sensors and be done with it.

If I can just find a diagram showing the wiring or maybe even a service pamphlet on the TPMS for that year I can probably figure out a way to either bypass TPMS or retrofit it into the system.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Have you checked the tire pressure? You could just pull the bulb which would be easier than trying to disable it. From my reading it is a no-no to disable the TPMS. Some insurance companies will not cover you if this system is disabled and you are in an accident.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by scobar
Have you checked the tire pressure? You could just pull the bulb which would be easier than trying to disable it. From my reading it is a no-no to disable the TPMS. Some insurance companies will not cover you if this system is disabled and you are in an accident.
well pulling the bulb won't work because the display on the mark lt/ lariat cluster is digital and it literally says tire pressure fault and I have to hit reset to clear it out.

my truck is an 2006 xlt and never had Tpms to begin with.

Last edited by Thisguyuknow; 05-12-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Really...I thought everything from 2000+ had tpms .
Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Make sure tire pressure on all 4 is correct. The pressure is on a sticker on the frame behind the driver's door. If I remember right, it's between 32 and 36psi for starters. Then go onto Ebay and look up TPMS tools for you year. I found a Ford reset tool (new) for about $30 shipped. I've seen how to use the tool listed in the forum, or I can put up the info from the 2007 Service Manual.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 PM

[QUOTE=Ifallsguy;2689702]Make sure tire pressure on all 4 is correct. The pressure is on a sticker on the frame behind the driver's door. If I remember right, it's between 32 and 36psi for starters. Then go onto Ebay and look up TPMS tools for you year. I found a Ford reset tool (new) for about $30 shipped. I've seen how to use the tool listed in the forum, or I can put up the info from the 2007 Service Manual.[/QUO
how does the system pick up the.signals from the Tpms sensors? my truck never had.sensors in the wheel I will need to buy some and add them. but unless the antenna that senses the readings is in the cluster i will need to wire it into my trucks system
Old 05-13-2013, 12:48 AM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Ford has been putting TPMS on their trucks for at least 10 years. So it came from the factory with the sensors. Did you replace the wheels or did a previous owner? There is no way anyone has come up with to shut TPMS off.

Changing the cluster is like changing the router for your home wireless network. You have to set up your network printers and computers to recognize the new router. Same with the new cluster.

If you live somewhere with vehicle inspections, you would fail if they spot it. And your insurance company could use it against you if you have an accident.

You might check the owner's manual. I'd bet the original cluster had a light for the sensors. Just never had the issue. You might try to find somewhere that can reset the sensors. The new cluster may not see the signal. The dealer I bought my 07 at put new rubber on when I bought it in November. Sensor light came on since they forgot to reset for the tire/rim combo they put on. 5 minute fix.

Last edited by Ifallsguy; 05-13-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:52 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Ford hasn't been putting TPMS in the trucks until 2007. Trust me I break open the tires and mess with the damn things every day. My 2006 doesn't have them either. They weren't mandated by the government till 2008. Ford instituted them a year early and some manufacturers like Chevy have had them for quite a while.

To the OP, I believe the TPMS system is run though your PCM so short of taking it to the dealer and asking what they can do there isn't much to do. Buying sensors wouldn't work for you since your truck doesn't have the monitoring system. Plus they are stupid expensive and would be a waist of your money.

Last edited by BassAckwards; 05-13-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

What year is the XLT ??
Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM

I think we need to back track slightly.

My tuck is a 2006 XLT. It did not have TPMS from the factory. When I had it stock with the stock cluster I got no TPMS fault because of the system never had it installed.

My project was swapping in an Automatic air which eventually dictated I swap in a Mark LT/Lariat cluster to get the A/C clutch to work. I chose a Mark Lt Cluster because I liked the black back ground. I was unaware that the 07+ had TPMS in them so it did not occur to me to get an older cluster that would not need a TPMS input.

Now, what I am trying to accomplish is to either retrofit TPMS into the truck or to trick the info center into thinking that there is no TPMS fault. This is in lieu of purchasing an older Lariat cluster. It may eventually end up that I have to buy a 2004-06 lariat cluster and have to sell my current one, I would like to try to keep what I have so that I don't have to worry about finding a cluster with the appropriate mileage again (this is harder than you think) and getting back my money I spent on the current one.

Here is what I know from getting the Auto air to work. Yes the PCM controls alot of the fancy computer stuff. In the case of the air it receives a signal from the cluster for A/C request and then activates the clutch under the dash. In the xlt cluster this signal was processed differently than the lariat. Ford told me that you would not be able to swap clusters because the PCM would not match and that the PCM would need to be reprogrammed as well. That was not true as I have not fiddled with the PCM and have retained all the functions.

Now that the back ground is out of the way,

What I want to get a hold of is a wiring diagram showing the TPMS system for the 2007-08 f150/Mark LTs that were so equipped. If the TPMS is controlled through the PCM that should be indicated in the wiring diagram.

What I figure just from my work with projects like this is that the TPMS most likely has a few parts. Obviously there are the sensors in the wheels. But there has to be something to sense that signal... If the PCM hands that information to the Cluster it still has got to get that information from somesort of antenna or pickup that detects the readings from the TPMS sensors.

For some reason TPMS is not mentioned in any of the diagrams I have on the manual I bought.. It came with almost 100 wiring diagrams and none mention TPMS. My dad and I are real good at wiring and can probably come up with a solution if we can find some sort of diagram or maybe even a technical bulletin dealing with the TPMS. If we can come up with something this may be a solution that people who have after market rims that arent compatible with the sensors can use as well to get rid of the warning.

Quick Reply: I Really Need A TPMS Wiring Diagram if Anyone Has Access to One