Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

I need some help....

Old 07-20-2010, 09:28 PM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need some help....

Read last paragraph for my question. The rest is just ranting that i had to do

I searched this topic and couldnt find any answers. I am replacing the CHITTY stock rotors on my 2006 F150. Last year i had the rear rotors and brake pads replaced because of normal brake wear and un-normal rotor warping and it ran me just under $500. I decided to not go that route again so im doing it myself. I go buy the brake pads and new rotors for $209 with some bearing grease to pack the bearings with.
I get home and take off the brake calipers and brake caliper brackets. I go to take off the rotor and realize that the rotor is held on by a spindle nut like none i have ever seen before that i could not ever budge with a cresent wrench. This spindle nut also has "DO NOT REUSE" on the side of it. I go back to Auto zone where i got my supplies and the guy there says they dont carry a spindle nut for a 2006 2wd F150 and that i will need to go to a Ford dealer to get one. Is ford just trying to make it tough for the do-it-yourself crowd or something? Now i have to go get a torque wrench and some special spindle nut that is only good for one time use. What gives man? Also, i get online and figure out that this genius design by Ford is apparently very unfamiliar and unliked by many other customers out there because its a PITA to deal with and because i have read that the little one time use spindle nuts go for around $25 or more each.

Question-What are the torque specs for the front spindle nuts on a 2006 F150 2WD? Can i find these spindle nuts anywhere besides the dealer so that my wallet doesnt get raped?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2006+F-150+two+...e+spindle+nuts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Where+to+buy+2006+F150+spindle+nut
Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Devil's advocate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Spindle nut torque: 295 ft-lbs
Get a spindle nut from RockAuto (should have gotten this before you started)

Originally Posted by f150cwcw
Now i have to go get a torque wrench
Being a do-it-yourselfer, you should already have one. just sayin'

Last edited by JP2085; 07-20-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 PM
cwcw

Thanks man. I guess i just wasnt typing the right thing in the google bar. I was getting varius numbers and arguements about whether the spindle nut needed to be torqued or hand tightened.

Guess im gonna go waste money on a torque wrench rental. Yippee.....
Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f150cwcw
Thanks man. I guess i just wasnt typing the right thing in the google bar. I was getting varius numbers and arguements about whether the spindle nut needed to be torqued or hand tightened.

Guess im gonna go waste money on a torque wrench rental. Yippee.....
no problem, good luck
Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 PM
cwcw

Originally Posted by JP2085
Spindle nut torque: 295 ft-lbs
Get a spindle nut from RockAuto (should have gotten this before you started)

Being a do-it-yourselfer, you should already have one. just sayin'
If i had known there was a spindle nut that couldnt be reused or one that i couldnt buy at an auto parts store, i would have done that dont you think?

Really? So all do-it-yourselfers should have already needed a torque wrench at some point? How do you figure? I have done multiple lawnmower repairs, outboard maintence, auto maintance, electrical work, plumming work, framing, and varius farm equipement and hydraulic tractor repairs and never once have i needed a torque wrench. This is the first rotor replacement i have tried to do on a vehicle.

JP2085, you must be the all mighty bestest of DIY'ers cause you have a torque wrench. Thank you for your usless reply.

Its getting to be a PITA to get on here any more with some of the replies that people have.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Something

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my wonderful opinion and in my experience as a do it yourself-er you should buy a smaller 3/4" torque wrench to handle lower torque amounts below 85 ft/lbs, the higher torque values you can just do by hand and feel for when it is tight enough. Usually you can feel when you are putting too much torque on a nut or a screw....although I have figured this out by breaking some nuts before.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 PM
cwcw

Originally Posted by xJimbos
In my wonderful opinion and in my experience as a do it yourself-er you should buy a smaller 3/4" torque wrench to handle lower torque amounts below 85 ft/lbs, the higher torque values you can just do by hand and feel for when it is tight enough. Usually you can feel when you are putting too much torque on a nut or a screw....although I have figured this out by breaking some nuts before.
Well thats what i was wondering, Jimbos. I can get it back on tight, i just didnt know how important it was to have the torque wrench. I always thought torque wrenches were for what you just described, in situations where it is easy to strip threads or break a nut and you need to get it tight but could break something by tightning too much. But 295ft/lbs?? thats sounds like alot, but maybe its really not that much. Never used a torque wrench although i have seen them used and know the basics.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

The average DIY'r does not have a torque wrench capable of 295ft lbs. Don't feel bad man. Rent it. You'll only need it once.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 PM
cwcw

Originally Posted by Blown Ford
The average DIY'r does not have a torque wrench capable of 295ft lbs. Don't feel bad man. Rent it. You'll only need it once.
Thanks Blown Ford, i already have found some local rental places i can call first thing in the morning. I found some 4hr rental rates for around $10. Harbor Freight has a torque wrench for $74 that will torque up to 250ft/lbs but needing 295ft/lbs that one isnt going to be enough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need some help....