Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How to remove vinyl decal stickers on truck bed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 AM
New Truck Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove vinyl decal stickers on truck bed?

Hey guys how do you remove the vinyl decals on the truck bed near the taillights? For example (the fx4 stickers) I want to replace them with newer model decals. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 AM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisboulden
Hey guys how do you remove the vinyl decals on the truck bed near the taillights? For example (the fx4 stickers) I want to replace them with newer model decals. Thanks for the help.
Hair dryer. And they should just peel right off. I wouldnt get it to close to the paint tho. And someothers might say razor blade but I would use one of those.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, just use a heat gun or even a hair dryer to gently warm the decal, and then peal off. Your goal is to reactivate the glue. If there is some glue residue left on the surface you can easily remove it with some denatured alcohol and some elbow grease. If you fail to remove the glue then expect the area to collect dirt and look ugly forever.

If your truck has not been repainted this will work for you. If your truck has been repainted you will need to make sure the decals were not applied and then clear-coated over the decal. If that is the case you should just forget about taking them off because you are going to have an area under the decal that is not cleared. This relative to a 2 stage paint system. But no matter if the area was repainted with a single stage or 2 stage system you risk pulling the paint off down to the primer when removing the decals. This is mostly unlikely, but one your should know about and accept the risk.

You should also consider that if your paint is faded in the least, that the area under the decal is probably not faded. So either replace the decal with an exact replacement or replace it with something larger than the original.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're not in a hurry, order this from Amazon. I got a similar one from my local parts store. It connects to your drill and the decal will come off without hurting the paint. I use it everytime I remove decals/pinstriping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0020HQRQC
Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

I did mine this last summer, I parked with one side facing the sun on a warm day and they came right off, then positioned the truck for the other side, an hour or so in the sun they get warm enough and just come right off.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreFx4
Hair dryer. And they should just peel right off. I wouldnt get it to close to the paint tho. And someothers might say razor blade but I would use one of those.

Yep. Hair dryer and finger nails. No razor!

Quick Reply: How to remove vinyl decal stickers on truck bed?