Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How to Remount your Steps to gain Toolbox Access

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to Remount your Steps to gain Toolbox Access

So I was tired of not seeing into my toolbox after the body lift, and I didnt want to get a set of nerf bars w/ the 3rd loop, I decided to remount my steps just for this.

I moved the front bolt locations 13 1/4" backwards. Drilled w/ a 3/8" bi-metal bit, keeping the same depth off of the edge as the factory mounts. Then I moved the c-clips, bolted 1 up, and sprayed w/ primer the rear bolt locations. I then removed that initial bolt, lowered the steps again, and drilled the rear holes. Moved the c-clips, tightened down the 4 bolts that go vertically, and used self tappers for the horizontal bolts rather than the factory (remounting those c-clips werent as easy and this works). I then repeated for the passenger side. Here are the finally pics. Its as sturdy as from the factory. Looks different since its offset from the front, but damn if it isnt exactly what I was looking for as far as functionability goes. Let me know what everyone thinks! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails How to Remount your Steps to gain Toolbox Access-driver-side-step-rear-closeup.jpg   How to Remount your Steps to gain Toolbox Access-passenger-side-step-bolt-location.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2010, 10:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

nice mod man.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Good idea! I always have to climb into my truck!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nicely done. It would have been nice to find some that span that entire length, but you gotta work with what you got. Again, nice work.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:36 AM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Nice mod. When are you going to paint your 3 tone ?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madeSICC
nice mod man.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by jhelrey
Good idea! I always have to climb into my truck!
The main reason I did this mod.

Originally Posted by redefinition1
Very nicely done. It would have been nice to find some that span that entire length, but you gotta work with what you got. Again, nice work.
Yea, I had contemplated getting a set cheap, and adding the extra length to make them wheel to wheel, but not sure it would have turned out as pretty in life as it is in my head.

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
Nice mod. When are you going to paint your 3 tone ?
Damn you always get me on that one! I am gonna try and do it this weekend, its just been too damn humid to paint here in Houston.

Thanks everyone... its nice to have the steps back on and not jump in or fall out of the truck anymore.

Quick Reply: How to Remount your Steps to gain Toolbox Access