Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help - Unknown Vibration/Rattle when in gear but stopped

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Unknown Vibration/Rattle when in gear but stopped

I've owned my 2005 XLT 4x4 for about 2 years now. For about a year, I have had this vibration noise in the front driver's side that happens frequently but only when in gear, and at a stop. I've tried to listen for exactly where it is, but it is not easily located. I'm hoping that someone may have experienced the same thing. The best I can describe the noise is as it sounds like something is loose and rattling and coming from the front left right behind the steering column. It never is there when I am in park, or when I am driving. Its fairly loud and can easily be heard in the cab. If I turn my steering wheel enough, the rattle stops but it seems more to be the changing of the idle that does it. If I put the truck in park, it immediately goes away. When I accelerate, the noise goes away. I'd say the noise is there about 50-75% of the time when I am in drive, but stopped. Mostly I notice it at stop lights, etc. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I took it to the mechanic twice and both times they said they could not get it to replicate, so I'm going to attempt to fix it myself if possible. I replaced the coils and plugs about 10K miles ago, oil changes are kept up, and have a new battery and alternator (I don't believe these have anything to do with it but just wanted to note) Any quick/easy fixes I'm more than happy to attempt and eliminate first if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like the engine is moving under torque when in gear, Does it do it in reverse or only drive. Could be a weak/worn left motor mount. Also look for rub marks between the engine and anything nearby that could touch when the engine rocks.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I had a similar condition with an 88 GT. It wound up being the FWD cat on the left side. While driving you couldn't really hear it. But, at a stop (especially with the windows down), you could hear it rattle...almost buzz sometimes. Didn't realize what it was until I removed the cats to put in an X-pipe. Not saying it's your problem...just saying.
At a minimum, I would get underneath and just look for lose items (bolts, clamps, shields, metal-to-metal contact, etc.). Good luck!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar issue. Only feel /hear it when stopped. Goes away when in park or if i turn the AC off. Makes me think it is drag on the engine causing a low idle vibration?? Though it doesn't show an idle fluctuation on the tach when it happens.
Truck is an 08 f-150 4x4, 5.4 with 91,000.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Get a cheap harbor freight mechanic stethoscope and you or someone else poke around with it while in drive and chock the wheels for safety. Don't drive over your buddy! I was thinking possible cat like someone else said but you never know. These sounds travel weird
Old 08-15-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I am familiar with the sound you describe. It's funny, mine used to do it and after installing my tuner, it doesn't do it anymore.

I do not think the tuner fixed anything as far as the cause of the noise. After the install and TPS relearn procedure, my idle went up just enough that it stays above that point where I used to hear the noise.

It would only do it when in gear and completely stopped. I usually could only hear it when I'd be sitting in a drive thru and would get the reverberation of the sound off the building wall. Drove me nuts as I hate for things to be loose or rattle.

I always felt like it was a heat shield, skid plate, or dust guard of some type. Best I can describe the sound is it sounds like a thin piece of plate steel that has a bolt loose and when the engine idles at a certain level, the frequency of the vibration was exactly what was needed to get this thing singing it's vibrating song.

Relearn the TPS, see if your idle increases and if it goes away. Just an idea.

However, if you do find it, I REALLY want to know what it was so I can check it out regardless!!!!
Old 08-15-2017, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jamieat
I am familiar with the sound you describe. It's funny, mine used to do it and after installing my tuner, it doesn't do it anymore.

I do not think the tuner fixed anything as far as the cause of the noise. After the install and TPS relearn procedure, my idle went up just enough that it stays above that point where I used to hear the noise.

It would only do it when in gear and completely stopped. I usually could only hear it when I'd be sitting in a drive thru and would get the reverberation of the sound off the building wall. Drove me nuts as I hate for things to be loose or rattle.

I always felt like it was a heat shield, skid plate, or dust guard of some type. Best I can describe the sound is it sounds like a thin piece of plate steel that has a bolt loose and when the engine idles at a certain level, the frequency of the vibration was exactly what was needed to get this thing singing it's vibrating song.

Relearn the TPS, see if your idle increases and if it goes away. Just an idea.

However, if you do find it, I REALLY want to know what it was so I can check it out regardless!!!!
You know now that I think of it I was working on my driver side rotor recently and some small portion of what looked like heat shield literally fell out from somewhere near the manifold. I don't even know where it actually was attached. If it fell out than it was obviously loose so you may be on to something. I agree with your guesses as to what it might be. Its almost impossible to narrow down some sounds as to their location but a stethoscope might get you close
Old 08-16-2017, 01:29 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah,

I never thought it was internal or an engine noise.

Never bothered with it, just got on my nerves when there's a hot young lady in the drive thru and you don't wanna roll your window's down b/c your junk's rattlin like it's a beater!!!!
Old 08-16-2017, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jamieat
Yeah,

I never thought it was internal or an engine noise.

Never bothered with it, just got on my nerves when there's a hot young lady in the drive thru and you don't wanna roll your window's down b/c your junk's rattlin like it's a beater!!!!
Good one. That's when you glance behind you and say to that young lady, man that guy behind me has one loud car. More than one drive through person has noticed my firearm on my seat or console and want to know what kind it is. They can see everything when a truck pulls up
Old 08-16-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

My truck makes the same noise, its a heat shield on the driver's side cat for me, I lost one of the bands in a snow storm and fixed it with a hose clamp but that wasnt a permanent fix and i have been too lazy to fix it the right way. Also, make sure you don't leave any bits of gravel between the shield and cat because that what I forgot to do......

Quick Reply: Help - Unknown Vibration/Rattle when in gear but stopped