Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help--truck won't start

Old 09-11-2015, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help--truck won't start

So I have an 04 FX4 with the 5.4.
I've had 3 coils replaced due to missing. I bought a warranty with it in January when I bought it.

A few months ago it hesitated when I went to start it. I turned the key and it seemed to wait about 2 seconds then cranked normally. I blew it off.
A few days later I turned the key and the electronics came on but the starter didn't turn. After a few switching back and forth with the key a few times, it cranked.

A few weeks later the wife and I were out on a Saturday. Stopped for lunch and she wouldn't crank. Same symptom. All the electronics came up just no starter.
I called a tow truck, he and I were working out the location and the wife tried it , it started right up. When we got home I switched it off and on several times. It worked flawlessly. 4 days later I stopped to get gas and same thing no start. Again the electronics came up but no start. I had it towed to the dealer(it's a local Honda dealer, since I bought it there).
They had it a week. Guy told me it did it for him but only once. He did't change anything but he didn't charge me either.

So now I'm 3 weeks after that and it's dead in the driveway last night and again this AM. I had to call in for work. I'm going to to have the dealer tow it to his place to work on. Does anyone have any ideas on it? I'm at a loss. I'm loosing confidence in it. It's left me too many times.
Help guys.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:40 AM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Sounds like a bad starter relay
Old 09-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

When it fails to crank, that's the time to get a volt meter to the starter to see if voltage is reaching it. If 12 volts is detected at the starter, then that points to a bad starter/solenoid.

I suspect a starter, or poor connection at it. Crawl underneath and check the wiring connections at the starter.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I would also check the connections at the starter...could have some corrosion or loose.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:09 AM

Looks like a starter relay. At least for now.
The tech said it was intermittent for him too.
I brought it home for the weekend since I needed to tow a short trailer for some work.
Next week it goes back to the shop to change out some coils.
This has been going on for months.
I bought it Jan this year and it was in the shop within 2 weeks. It's yo-yo'd in and out since. The service guys are trying to handle it but the is undermining my confidence in the truck.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds to me like a starter issue, i had close to the same thing about 2 weeks after i bought my truck. One morning it was slow to start but did after holding the key in start for a few seconds, later that day turned the key and nothing, waited awhile and it started. I imeediatly drove it to my mechanic where he checked the volts at the starter and it was 12.4? (somthing near that). He hit it with a hammer and it started, i then drove it back to the dealer where he replaced it for free. Now its been a month and 2000 miles, it fires up everytime, no issues since
Old 09-19-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm on the same ship as everyone else, check connections but to my experience sounds like you have a dead spot in the starter. Keep a hammer with you if it does it still get underneath and smack it a couple times
Old 09-20-2015, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Thumper_abn
So I have an 04 FX4 with the 5.4.
I've had 3 coils replaced due to missing. I bought a warranty with it in January when I bought it.

A few months ago it hesitated when I went to start it. I turned the key and it seemed to wait about 2 seconds then cranked normally. I blew it off.
A few days later I turned the key and the electronics came on but the starter didn't turn. After a few switching back and forth with the key a few times, it cranked.

A few weeks later the wife and I were out on a Saturday. Stopped for lunch and she wouldn't crank. Same symptom. All the electronics came up just no starter.
I called a tow truck, he and I were working out the location and the wife tried it , it started right up. When we got home I switched it off and on several times. It worked flawlessly. 4 days later I stopped to get gas and same thing no start. Again the electronics came up but no start. I had it towed to the dealer(it's a local Honda dealer, since I bought it there).
They had it a week. Guy told me it did it for him but only once. He did't change anything but he didn't charge me either.

So now I'm 3 weeks after that and it's dead in the driveway last night and again this AM. I had to call in for work. I'm going to to have the dealer tow it to his place to work on. Does anyone have any ideas on it? I'm at a loss. I'm loosing confidence in it. It's left me too many times.
Help guys.
Try putting it in neutral and starting it next time and see if it cranks up. My 05 does that from time to time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help--truck won't start