Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HELP! Is my tranny a goner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question HELP! Is my tranny a goner?

Well, shes got 105k miles on her and was a former work truck. For the past 3-4 months ive been hearing the tranny noise (the bearing #9 i read about) off and on while driving. Today while driving i noticed the tranny hesitating and jumping into and out of 1st. I got home and try to put it in park and it seriously sounds like someone with a loud drill is standing next to my truck. So i went thru each gear and P, R & N all have the loud noise and a huge hesitation and JUMP before engaging.

Any pointers or advice/input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While mine isnt doing that same thing it occassionally seems to jump in and out of different gear, usually 3&4th. I called the dealership and I was told that my year(05) is known for that and can be fixed by having the transmission controller flashed as they are designed to "learn your driving style" and flashing can reset it. Something to think about anyway
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks Egroo, i will def mention that to them today. Upon speaking to the transmission shop they said it sounds like the Torque Converter and that they see ALOT of F150s with the TQs out (about $600), but if its not that then most likely its the transmission (about $1600). She gets towed in later today so keep your fingers crossed its the cheaper of the 2!!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Good luck and post the results
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Just got word from the shop...while testing it locked up. So far ive been quoted $1900....but will get the final price in a couple hrs when they call back. FML
Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 AM

Picked mine up last night. I was told there was a new update available for my transmission so they flashed the update to the controller and so far so good. Best of luck with yours. Not sure where you are located but a rebuild here is $2800
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelerfan83
Just got word from the shop...while testing it locked up. So far ive been quoted $1900....but will get the final price in a couple hrs when they call back. FML
CRAPPPPP..... Mines doing the ol number 9 bearing noise too 81k miles.

And i can says its been a rough 81k ... Its towed a bass boat for the last 3 years 3 to 5 times a week... And numerous rather heavy loads. But i've always took care of the trans... Trans cooler/fluid and filter twice with RP fluid

I was going to have my trans rebuild but i think i'm going to just keep driving it... Mine shifts and drives like new still. Been doing it for 2 months and i still tow the boat with it everyweek..

If you can get some specifics on what failed and what they raplaced get them

I was trying to figure out if its worth fixing before it gets bad... Or driving it a might get another 6 months or year hopefully

Goodluck

BTW.... There are used trans on ebay for like 500 bucks! And "Monstertrans" for like 2500$$ for a heavy duty trans and new TC
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

I was thinking about going with monster Trans when the time comes, hopefully never.
I've heard mixed reviews about them, does anybody have any experience with monster Trans or their torque converters???
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86
I was thinking about going with monster Trans when the time comes, hopefully never.
I've heard mixed reviews about them, does anybody have any experience with monster Trans or their torque converters???
I put on in my 98, Altho i sold it withen 5k miles.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
CRAPPPPP..... Mines doing the ol number 9 bearing noise too 81k miles.

And i can says its been a rough 81k ... Its towed a bass boat for the last 3 years 3 to 5 times a week... And numerous rather heavy loads. But i've always took care of the trans... Trans cooler/fluid and filter twice with RP fluid

I was going to have my trans rebuild but i think i'm going to just keep driving it... Mine shifts and drives like new still. Been doing it for 2 months and i still tow the boat with it everyweek..

If you can get some specifics on what failed and what they raplaced get them

I was trying to figure out if its worth fixing before it gets bad... Or driving it a might get another 6 months or year hopefully

Goodluck

BTW.... There are used trans on ebay for like 500 bucks! And "Monstertrans" for like 2500$$ for a heavy duty trans and new TC
Im still doing price shopping, but ill get you the specifics when I get them.
My bearing 9 noise has been happening for about 8 months (8k miles, not 3 months like i initially thought), slowly it got more frequent and louder but still just off and on. Since being laid off I had no choice but to hope to the gods it didnt crap out....dang it. Prior to me it was a stock work truck with a utility shell in the bed. So im sure it went thru alot of heavy abuse, i cant say i didnt expect it to happen eventually. Im gonna look into those Monstertrans!
The following users liked this post:
bobkyle2 (10-04-2012)

Quick Reply: HELP! Is my tranny a goner?