Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help me out on System.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Roll Tide

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightbulb Help me out on System.

Alright guys, bear with me here. I am getting some subwoofers for Christmas and need some help. Keep in mind I'm looking for more of a louder system than sound quality/accuracy.

I have a 2008 Supercrew XLT with the front bench seat if that matters.

Here is the box I am pretty set on getting from SupercrewSound. If you have any opinions shout em out. I am planning on getting the 10" cutouts.
http://www.supercrewsound.com/04F150SCrewUTSdual.html

Here are the Subs i am thinking about getting from Kicker on Amazon.
Amazon Amazon

On the amplifier, i am not sure at all. There are so many different options and brands that it has me lost. This is where i really need opinions to help figure this out. Also I don't know where to mount the amp either. I have seen putting it behind the back seat but that looks like a pain and is kind of suffocating to the amp which i think tends to get hot.

Lastly if somebody could talk about ported vs. sealed that would be awesome.
Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Help me out on System.-img_1707.jpg  
Old 12-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 82 Likes on 81 Posts

Damn thats a lot for that box, I got the same one for 35 bucks off craigslist
Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy twice the amp you think you need. If you have 2-500 watt subs you should buy a 1000x2 amp at 8 ohms. But if you don't care about about quality buy a 250x2@8 ohms run it at 2 ohms and it will be loud and sound like sh*t. A very smart man once told me that he has wasted a 1 million dollars buying sh*t. And if it was worth buying save your money and do it right the first time. I promise you will regret cutting corners on your system and will eventually spend the additional money to do it right. If so its cheaper to use quality components the first time. But to answer you question just about any amp will make it loud.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Roll Tide

Originally Posted by dapplewhite
Buy twice the amp you think you need. If you have 2-500 watt subs you should buy a 1000x2 amp at 8 ohms. But if you don't care about about quality buy a 250x2@8 ohms run it at 2 ohms and it will be loud and sound like sh*t. A very smart man once told me that he has wasted a 1 million dollars buying sh*t. And if it was worth buying save your money and do it right the first time. I promise you will regret cutting corners on your system and will eventually spend the additional money to do it right. If so its cheaper to use quality components the first time. But to answer you question just about any amp will make it loud.
won't too much amp blow the speakers completely, how is this controlled to protect the speakers.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:40 PM

You will have an output control on the amp. Look at it like this, if you need a truck to go 55mph you don't want to buy a truck that uses every ounce of power the engine has to go 55mph. It wouldn't last no time before it blew up running it at full throttle all the time. Same thing with a amp it will run much smoother and quieter at 50% power and last longer. If you go this route you would turn the amp up until you started to hear the buzzing of the amp Come through the speakers and then back it back down a touch. Also if you bridge a amp to gain power you lose quality. On a good amp its not that noticeable on a cheap one very noticeable.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM

I've been reading up on a lot of subs and asking around and everyone says the kicker subs arnt the best subs. They may be a little bit more pricey but I've heard a lot of good things about Alpine type R subs
Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM

I'm a JL Audio guy for car audio!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Roll Tide

The JL's look too expensive. I'm prolly gonna stick with kicker for the subs... Still don't know about the amp. I'm thinking kenwood since they have fans to help cool them and have good reviews. They are also only about $100.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Big Rig Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesn't anyone like rockford fosgate anymore... christ I'm still rocking a punch 150w amp and matching 10" sub I've had for the past 14years.

I'm also a fan of pioneer equipment.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Cody

I just bought a RE Audio REX 10D4 and a Rockford Fosgate 250/1 amp for my truck. But I have been reading around for awhile, and what I have read is that if you just want a system that is loud and cheap but not the best sound quality go with Kicker. But if you want something that can still rattle your mirror but sounds clean you should go with something like JL, RE, or something along those lines. I would also reccomend check out Sonic Electronix for car audio they been running a sale for the past couple of weeks and they have free shipping which can help cut down on the cost alot. Whatever you go with choose something you enjoy becasue your going to be the one listening to it everyday not us. Before buying also try going into a Best Buy to test out Kickers and maybe a local Car Audio shop to check out other brands.
Good luck

Quick Reply: Help me out on System.