Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help me decide on tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Help me decide on tires

Well guys and gals I have got it narrowed down to 4 choices. I am going to be running 315/70r17 tires. Yes I am aware that I may have some rubbing issues but that's ok. I have got it narrowed down to either; Mickey Thompson MTZ'z, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, or a different tire if someone else may have a better suggestion. I am really leaning towards one of the 3 that I have listed. I am looking for something that is going to be good in the snow and mud but also decent on the street. I drive on the street daily but go wheeling almost every weekend with my buddies and inlaws. I want an aggressive tire that isn't going to just burn off on the street. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

In response to your question in the other thread. Here is a photo of the mtz's with around 26k-30k. In the snow they were only better than an a/t if it was more than normal road build up. The side claws really help in the deep snow. They are noisy. Pretty good in mud. If it was me, I would go for the duratracs, they are a great tire and do well in all conditions. I still have the mtz's and if you were close, I'd sell them to you for like $200.

Last edited by 07cruiser; 11-06-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't go wheeling with Duratracs, i've heard too many sidewall failure stories. No doubt they'd work great on the road and have the snow flake so they perform well in the winter as well. Go to tire rack and read reviews if you haven't already.

Have you given any thought about the Cooper STT's? You could add some siping to make them even better for hard snow pack and ice. I've had them and they're great.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:24 AM
~Chillin on a Dirt Road~

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have interco ss-m16s and love them. They have an aggressive pattern yet aren't too loud on the road. You can hear them but if the radio is on it drowns them out. They're awesome off road

Help me decide on tires-image-4220062245.jpg

Help me decide on tires-image-3048819842.jpg
Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

NITTO TRAIL GRAPS.... not trying to hate on others out there but I have NEVER been happier with a set of tires as I am with my GRAPS... and thats comparing them to BFG mud terrain- gen 1, BFG All terrain ko, Goodyear MT-r gen 1 and MTR with Kevlar, MAXXIS Mudders, Wild country TXRs,
Attached Thumbnails Help me decide on tires-mudtire.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by BIGDAWG78
NITTO TRAIL GRAPS.... not trying to hate on others out there but I have NEVER been happier with a set of tires as I am with my GRAPS... and thats comparing them to BFG mud terrain- gen 1, BFG All terrain ko, Goodyear MT-r gen 1 and MTR with Kevlar, MAXXIS Mudders, Wild country TXRs,

Have you ever had these tires in the snow?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004lariatkindofguy
Have you ever had these tires in the snow?
x2 on the snow experience. I see you guys coming in with tires that may not be snow friendly at all???

To the OP, does South Dakota get much snow? Are you driving to work in the winter with fresh snow, packed snow and icy conditions? Or do you have to drive up to the mountains to get your snow fix?

Most mud terrains will do well in deep snow but that's not the reality when driving on the road after it's been packed down and the roads get icy. I've had A/T's that handled ice and snow pack well that I can recommend but there's no good true A/T that does well in deep snow. Duratracs seem to be the best middle ground since it's a hybrid M/T and A/T but the sidewalls are questionable for wheeling but may be worth the risk so long as you stay away from sharp rocks.

Where I live we get a good amount of snowfall then it stops, gets packed down from driving on it and gets slippery. Then we have freezing fog that's real fun and it will also rain at night then the temp drops to 28 degrees and makes it a hockey rink. I like a tire that does it all but without having a dedicated winter tire. General Grabber AT2 and Cooper Discoverer AT3's work for me. I drive before the plows get out and clean up most of the arterial and bus route roads. I also drive a lot of back country roads really early in the morning with deer running across the streets. Those cool looking MT's will look real cool on a truck in the ditch.

Last edited by PNW EFFONEFIFTY; 11-07-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 on the cooper discoverer STT or the AT3
Old 11-07-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by PNW EFFONEFIFTY
x2 on the snow experience. I see you guys coming in with tires that may not be snow friendly at all???

To the OP, does South Dakota get much snow? Are you driving to work in the winter with fresh snow, packed snow and icy conditions? Or do you have to drive up to the mountains to get your snow fix?

Most mud terrains will do well in deep snow but that's not the reality when driving on the road after it's been packed down and the roads get icy. I've had A/T's that handled ice and snow pack well that I can recommend but there's no good true A/T that does well in deep snow. Duratracs seem to be the best middle ground since it's a hybrid M/T and A/T but the sidewalls are questionable for wheeling but may be worth the risk so long as you stay away from sharp rocks.

Where I live we get a good amount of snowfall then it stops, gets packed down from driving on it and gets slippery. Then we have freezing fog that's real fun and it will also rain at night then the temp drops to 28 degrees and makes it a hockey rink. I like a tire that does it all but without having a dedicated winter tire. General Grabber AT2 and Cooper Discoverer AT3's work for me. I drive before the plows get out and clean up most of the arterial and bus route roads. I also drive a lot of back country roads really early in the morning with deer running across the streets. Those cool looking MT's will look real cool on a truck in the ditch.

During the week I drive a lot of streets and packed snow but I am normally out and about either earlier then the plows or late at night when I get off work before they start plowing. On the weekend I drive a lot of backroads/offroad for hunting or just playing around with family members and friends that go wheeling. I love driving in deep snow and I want to be able to do that. The Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 and also just the regular Mickey Thompson ATZ both look like they have good tread and siping but I just don't know if they are worth the money. I have a cousin that has the STT's and they were great in the mud but not the best in the snow and it seemed like they were really aggressive and would wear quick. The AT3's are a great tire. Im just not sure if they will be aggressive enough.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 AM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Out of the choices you chose i say DURATRAC!!

Quick Reply: Help me decide on tires