Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Help! A girl in need ...

Old 05-14-2010, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! A girl in need ...

Hi: my dad bought a used 2006 F150. It had 129,600 kms when we bought it two weeks ago. The engine light came on while we were test driving. We mentioned this to the seller and he advised he would take care of the problem. About a week later the light went on again. We brought the truck to our local Ford dealership who advised the truck desperately needed an oil change and hooked it up to their test machine ($300). Turns out the catalytic (sp?) converter is fried and if we don't spend $3000 CDN to have the truck fixed we will face all sorts of new problems. My dad took the truck back to the sleezy used car salesman who advised that Ford warranties that part -- they do, however we now have 131,452 kms and bought it with 129,576. Ford warranty expires at 130,000kms. Do you think Ford will honor this warranty (I've sent an email to them) Also, on paperwork that we obtained from the seller he blacked out a line below the "outstanding issues" columm. It's taken me two days but finally figured it out -- Cam phaser problem? What does that mean and would that have any connection to the catalytic problem?
Sincere Thank you in advance!!!
Nicole ~ Winnipeg, CANADA!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

If you don't have a guarantee for repairs from the dealer, you're probably out of luck, especially because you added over 1800km already.
The cam phaser problem doesn't have anything to do with your cats. It is an issue in the engine itself, and it can be very expensive to fix.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a knocking sound when truck is idling or driving? I could be wrong but if the cam phaser is bad there should be a knocking sound to go with right?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:03 PM

Does the truck have an engine knocking sound when running at idle (that sort of sounds like a diesel engine)? If so, this is a common problem with these trucks that requires the cam phasers to be replaced. I have a 04 with the same problem. I have it at a dealer right now trying to get it fixed. I bought it used from a Chevy dealership and they sold me the GM extended warranty on it. I have had a few other problems fixed under this warranty including a new compressor for the A/C (cost over 1,500). I don't know the cost to fix this problem but I can tell it is very expensive. Even though the dealer confirmed the problem, the GM warranty folks are sending a team of inspectors to independently verify the issue before they authorize the repair. They have never done this before so I can tell that whatever the cost is, it must be a lot (over $1,500).
Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Heh, 'member'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang, sorry to hear about your trouble. A few thoughts though:

Never take a vehicle to a dealer to have them diagnos a check engine light. Advance, Autozone, and many others offer this service for free. I know you're in Canada but someone aught to be able to do this.

Next, go online and look for a replacement catalic converter. Installation isn't too bad. You'll save a bundle of money.

You have to take the good with the bad when you purchase a used vehicle. Especially when you buy from fly by night used car lot. It's a crap shoot but even if you have to sink in a few grand here and there...it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than a new one.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Cam Phaser TSB applies only to the 04-05 trucks.

I'd guess your SOL on the warranty. Look at Walker Exhaust for bolt on replacements.

If you're fouling cats I'd bet you've got other engine issues.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 PM

thats why I prefer to go to Ford dealers because they will actually do something to help you get the best out of your purchase. Used car salesman just want to make a sale. $3000 is a little high it seems tho so there must be something wrong with the engine too from not having the oil changed.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

MSRP on OEM cats is around $1000-1200 US
Old 05-20-2010, 03:47 PM

ford will never goodwill a warrenty i was 2000 over the warrenty to have the right side of my bed fixed under the warrenty they put out because they put some pad there and it caused it to bubble up and rust and they said there was no way they could honor it and still do it.... I hate to say it but ford doesnt take care of there customers like gm does
Old 05-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing for sure, you chose the right title for the thread if you want to get a lot of views...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! A girl in need ...