Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

HELP!!! - 2004 F150 4.6 misfire #2 and #5

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! - 2004 F150 4.6 misfire #2 and #5

The truck has a check engine light, service brakes and the codes: random misfire, #2 misfire, #5 misfire. I have tried swapping coils and the misfire stays the same. I have swapped plugs and it stays the same. I have replaced fuel injectors and it stays the same. I have a video of the spark plug firing so I know it has spark. I took the plug out, hooked up the coil, put the plug in the coil and started the truck. The number two plug was sparking as it should. The leaves me to think its fuel. I checked for power at the injector and it does have power.

Truck has 8 new coils, 8 new plugs and several new injectors. I replaced two injectors as well.

Bought this truck from an auction and it is beating me. Really don't like Ford at the moment.
Can someone help me find out what is wrong with this truck?

Last edited by frenchsquared; 06-21-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchsquared
The truck has a check engine light, service brakes and the codes: random misfire, #2 misfire, #5 misfire. I have tried swapping coils and the misfire stays the same. I have swapped plugs and it stays the same. I have replaced fuel injectors and it stays the same. I have a video of the spark plug firing so I know it has spark. I took the plug out, hooked up the coil, put the plug in the coil and started the truck. The number two plug was sparking as it should. The leaves me to think its fuel. I checked for power at the injector and it does have power.

Truck has 8 new coils, 8 new plugs and several new injectors. I replaced two injectors as well.

Bought this truck from an auction and it is beating me. Really don't like Ford at the moment.
Can someone help me find out what is wrong with this truck?
You're probably going to have to run the harness and find out if there are any breaks, it can happen easily. Another joy with these trucks is that in addition to harness issues, random misfires can be caused by the FPDM, but as they're static at #2 and #5, don't think that's it.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by gone postal
You're probably going to have to run the harness and find out if there are any breaks, it can happen easily. Another joy with these trucks is that in addition to harness issues, random misfires can be caused by the FPDM, but as they're static at #2 and #5, don't think that's it.
How do I decided if the PCM or the FPDM?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:19 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Not much faith in aftermarket coils

Oem coils don't go bad that often ,they do get corroded connections .Clean them all .What kind of plugs are you using . You should be using sp546 mc . The sp515's were going bad out of the box . Its a good idea to replace all injectors with new not remans .New orings and use motor oil on them to seal and install .
Plug tip area on cyl should be cleaned with carb cleaner to dissolve carbon that breaks plugs . All boots on plugs should be replaced every 60k when you change plugs , thats the only way to protect the spark from jumping to head . You can't see the pin hole failure points .
You can damage PCM outputs by overload with bad components . Torque all plugs in 25 to 28 foot pounds . loose plugs will burn up like a torch taking the boot with it .
Make sure all connectors are locking on if not replace them . Dielectric grease on boot ends stops heat seizing and moisture, keep it off metal parts it is an insulator not a conductive gel a small amt is not going to have much effect . Anti seize is a conductor it will short stuff out keep it off boots/ spark tips etc .
Old 06-22-2018, 12:38 PM

The coils are aftermarket. Say flame thrower on them. I have moved these around with no change.
It has several different brands of plugs as it seems many people have tried fixing this issue. I have moved them around with no change.
I replaced the #6 fuel injector this morning as it was leaking. Took them all out and cleaned them and put them all back in different order. No more fuel leaks. I also cleaned the MAS and Throttle body as I noticed a K&N and no those mess up the MAS. There are no more random miss fire errors. I drove 25 miles or so and the miss fires seem to be gone. Truck is running better but not right. It still seems ot have a miss and shudders some.

I am now getting P0174 Lean Bank Condition #2.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! - 2004 F150 4.6 misfire #2 and #5