Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Haven't been able to nail this down

Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haven't been able to nail this down

I'll try to be as short as possible, any advice is MUCH appreciated.

04 F150, 5.4 3V, V8.

I am throwing a P0153 code, it comes and goes, sometimes it will stay off and be fine for weeks at a time, other times it's on constantly. I read that cleaning the MAF and/or replacing the fuel filter would possibly take care of the issue, it has not. I wouldn't consider it to be a big deal but I'm experiencing a shudder in overdrive under LIGHT acceleration. I had the transmission rebuilt about a year ago and have had the issue since before the transmission was rebuilt. I notice this shudder more when towing a trailer, especially when pulling up a hill. The shudder is only there in overdrive.

The owner of the transmission shop told me the shudder could be caused by the CEL and I should address that, but I think it may be something in the transmission, possibly a torque converter? He also said that bad spark could cause the issue but if that were the case wouldn't the shudder be noticeable much more often?

Again, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COPs?
Old 05-01-2014, 01:11 PM

If it was the coil pack wouldn't the issue be more persistent?
Old 05-01-2014, 01:29 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by JsHwrdul
I'll try to be as short as possible, any advice is MUCH appreciated.

04 F150, 5.4 3V, V8.

I am throwing a P0153 code, it comes and goes, sometimes it will stay off and be fine for weeks at a time, other times it's on constantly. I read that cleaning the MAF and/or replacing the fuel filter would possibly take care of the issue, it has not. I wouldn't consider it to be a big deal but I'm experiencing a shudder in overdrive under LIGHT acceleration. I had the transmission rebuilt about a year ago and have had the issue since before the transmission was rebuilt. I notice this shudder more when towing a trailer, especially when pulling up a hill. The shudder is only there in overdrive.

The owner of the transmission shop told me the shudder could be caused by the CEL and I should address that, but I think it may be something in the transmission, possibly a torque converter? He also said that bad spark could cause the issue but if that were the case wouldn't the shudder be noticeable much more often?

Again, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Hi.

P0153 is: P0153 O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2, Sensor 1) = Drivers Side, front sensor.

How old are yer front O2's? If they are over 80K they need to be replaced. They do get 'lazy' with age & use; this code is indicative of that.

Replace with Motorcraft only ( Rockauto has 'em. ). Here's why:

http://vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825

And it needs to be addressed ASAP - the front O2's are crucial to accurate air/fuel control - they need to be healthy and responsive or power, driveability and mileage will suffer. It can induce misfires. In extreme cases it can ruin yer cats.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 05-01-2014 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JsHwrdul (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 PM

I'm sorry, I should have stated in the OP that I am aware of the code itself and what it means but I have heard MANY people say that it could just be faulty. The front O2 is located on the cat correct?

Could replacing this fix the shudder?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

usually the shutter under light accel is plugs or connection between COP and plug. when was your last plug replacement?
JsHwrdul (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 PM

I haven't replaced the plugs or COP since I've owned the truck (3 years) but there was paperwork in the glove compartment that stated the engine had been pretty much rebuilt in 2011 but there was no specific line item for either. I would love to change the plugs and wires but the horror stories scare the crap out of me. My roommate tried changing the plugs in his truck and 2 ceased on him and had to take it to a shop. I've been told to change the COP before the plugs if that's the case?
Old 05-01-2014, 03:33 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by JsHwrdul
I'm sorry, I should have stated in the OP that I am aware of the code itself and what it means but I have heard MANY people say that it could just be faulty. The front O2 is located on the cat correct?

Could replacing this fix the shudder?
Hi.

No - it's located before the front cat, driver side, in a bung on the pipe itself:

Regardless of any other potential causes, THIS needs to be addressed. It's BASIC maintenance - Both front O2's need replacement, in pairs. This problem needs to be fixed before you move on. Ignoring codes is not smart.

Once that has been done, and the code is gone for good, AND if the shudder still persists, move on to diagnosing the plugs & COP's.

First step it to have any and all pending / stored codes pulled from the PCM (you need access to an advanced scanner, or a shop with one - pay for the diag if necessary). If pending misfire codes are present, they will point to the suspect cylinder(s). a CEL does not have to be set for these codes to be present. POST them here. Do NOT just throw parts at it.

Sounds as if you don't have a handle on yer truck's maintenance history, nor a game plan for proper diagnosis & repair. This needs to change.

Awaiting more data ....

good luck
MGD

PS - the costlier approach is to just cross yer fingers and shotgun all 8 plugs (there are no wires). If you have a plug problem, then, despite yer fears, they MUST come out - or there is no point in posting yer issues in the first place. Pugs are a 60K maintenance item - the COPS usually last much longer if cared for (no direct forced water contact, etc).

Binary solution set: you either perform the due diligence on proper maintenance, or live with it - and it'll only get worse. Yer call.

Last edited by MGD; 05-01-2014 at 03:48 PM.
JsHwrdul (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Listen to MGD, there is wisdom in his words. Even if the plugs are causing the shudder, they're not burning off all the fuel and will cause the O2's and cats to go bad.
The following 2 users liked this post by lewissa81:
JsHwrdul (05-02-2014), MGD (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by MGD
Hi.

No - it's located before the front cat, driver side, in a bung on the pipe itself:

Regardless of any other potential causes, THIS needs to be addressed. It's BASIC maintenance - Both front O2's need replacement, in pairs. This problem needs to be fixed before you move on. Ignoring codes is not smart.

Once that has been done, and the code is gone for good, AND if the shudder still persists, move on to diagnosing the plugs & COP's.

First step it to have any and all pending / stored codes pulled from the PCM (you need access to an advanced scanner, or a shop with one - pay for the diag if necessary). If pending misfire codes are present, they will point to the suspect cylinder(s). a CEL does not have to be set for these codes to be present. POST them here. Do NOT just throw parts at it.

Sounds as if you don't have a handle on yer truck's maintenance history, nor a game plan for proper diagnosis & repair. This needs to change.

Awaiting more data ....

good luck
MGD

PS - the costlier approach is to just cross yer fingers and shotgun all 8 plugs (there are no wires). If you have a plug problem, then, despite yer fears, they MUST come out - or there is no point in posting yer issues in the first place. Pugs are a 60K maintenance item - the COPS usually last much longer if cared for (no direct forced water contact, etc).

Binary solution set: you either perform the due diligence on proper maintenance, or live with it - and it'll only get worse. Yer call.
Thanks for the all information! I will get the O2 addressed. Do you think that a bad O2 could be causing the shudder?

I do not have have a solid grasp of the trucks repair history as I am not the original owner. I can tell you everything that I have done to the truck since I purchased it and can tell you what the receipts in the glove compartment say but other than that is there really any other way to know? Will a Ford dealership willingly hand over the history?

PS- I know there are no wires, I misspoke. I was really big into imports for a long time and sometimes those things just stick in my mind. I have a REALLY solid understanding of most Honda's but when it comes to Ford I am still doing my best to grasp it all.

Thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Haven't been able to nail this down